Old 24-03-2004, 04:50 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default PMDD question

www.gregwatson.com has the PMDD Store, this is their recipe.
PMDD Pre-Mix is now available in 1 lb quantities
Contains:
1 part Potassium Nitrate,
1 part Potassium Sulfate,
1 part Magnesium Sulfate, and
1 part Plantex CSM+B.

How much will this 1lb make? Is this the right combo I'm looking for?

Conlin's Recipe
Fertilizer Recipe (Poor Man's Dupla Drops)
1 Tbsp (~9g) Chelated Trace Element Mix
(7% Fe, 1.3% B, 2% Mn, 0.06% Mo, 0.4% Zn, 0.1% Cu, EDTA, DTPA)
2 Tsp (~14g) K2SO4 (potassium sulfate)
1 Tsp (~6g) KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
2.5 Tbsp (~33g) MgSO4.7H2O (fully hydrated magnesium sulfate, aka epsom
salts; omit if already present in trace element mix)
300mL distilled H2O
0.5mL 9M HCl (optional)

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
==========================
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).

Old 25-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Dave Millman

"RedForeman ©®" wrote:

www.gregwatson.com has the PMDD Store, this is their recipe.
PMDD Pre-Mix is now available in 1 lb quantities
Contains:
1 part Potassium Nitrate,
1 part Potassium Sulfate,
1 part Magnesium Sulfate, and
1 part Plantex CSM+B.

How much will this 1lb make? Is this the right combo I'm looking for?

Conlin's Recipe
Fertilizer Recipe (Poor Man's Dupla Drops)
1 Tbsp (~9g) Chelated Trace Element Mix
(7% Fe, 1.3% B, 2% Mn, 0.06% Mo, 0.4% Zn, 0.1% Cu, EDTA, DTPA)
2 Tsp (~14g) K2SO4 (potassium sulfate)
1 Tsp (~6g) KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
2.5 Tbsp (~33g) MgSO4.7H2O (fully hydrated magnesium sulfate, aka epsom
salts; omit if already present in trace element mix)
300mL distilled H2O
0.5mL 9M HCl (optional)

Red,

Greg Watson is a high quality, fast, cheap source for the individual
ingredients. It's not often that you get all three!

Regarding the mix ratio, every source, from the original Sears Conlin paper
through the latest Tom Barr postings, tells you that you will have to
determine some of the amounts yourself, particularly Nitrate. In our area,
nitrate ranges from 10-40 ppm at the tap, from agricultural runoff, according
to the city water report and verified by test kits. This means no added
nitrate at water change time!

Bottom line:

If you want to go with the older PMDD philosphy ("LIMIT PHOSPHATE AT ALL
COSTS"), the ratios you quoted above are probably right, once you figure out
how much Nitrate you need. If you want to go with the Tom Barr philosophy
("GET YOUR PLANTS HEALTHY, THEY NEED PHOSPHATE, THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF
ALGAE"), you will probably need to dose KH2PO4 (also available from Greg
Watson). Tom's suggested ratios are he

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00442.html
(read the whole thread)

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/fert/e...st_index1.html

Old 26-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Rick

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
"RedForeman ©®" wrote:

[...]

I believe I have read an update on the Krib site somewhere that says this
mixture should be in 500 ml of water.

Rick

Old 29-03-2004, 04:33 PM
RedForeman ©®

"RedForeman ©®" wrote:

[...]

I've followed Tom's example for several years, and the volume to purchase
was a question.... Usually could get rid of it but most aquatic friends have
moved, given up,etc... I'll be buying some soon regardless....

Thanks Dave and Rick

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike streetfighter!!!