Old 25-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Lopaka

Default Beware of Hong Kong fake plants..

Well, I live in Hawaii with its drawbacks, but more than once I have been
passed off with
plants which are supposed to live underwater, only to find out that they
grow in my back yard.
And this at $3-5 a pop? They look SO authentic when they are prepped for
sale. They become
rottten fish food. I have 2 said false white anthuriums growing like weeds
here in my sunlit room..
If anyone cares to share this thread, apologies if the subject sounded like
a virus, I just wanted to
stop this million dollar fraud. so, uh, yeah stop the hong kong virus..
*conk*

Old 25-03-2004, 09:33 PM
peepod

Well first, make sure you're buying true aquatic plants and not those
which are often sold as aquatic plants when in truth they are bog or
terrestrial plants (plants such as the "purple waffle", "brazillian
sword", "mondo grass", "aluminum plant", etc...)

I don't think it's so much a "buyer beware" issue as much as a "buyer
should do some research and make sure plants are aquatic before buying
them" issue.

Having visited Hong Kong's Mongkok (aquarium district), I can tell you
there are plenty of nice true aquatic plants sold there.

Knowledge is the key - there are plenty of websites and forums which
list true aquatic plants.

Check with these forums/ mailing lists:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1