Old 18-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Hope Munro Smith

Default Lucky bamboo at Hong Kong market

Hello,

I went to Hong Kong supermarket yesterday to add to my collection
of lucky bamboo. The prices are really great! The curly bamboo,
which is my favorite, is only $7 per stem! They have lots of it
too, plus the regular straight kind. The stems are very lush
and healthy.

until soon, Hope
Old 18-05-2003, 06:20 PM
G a e X a v i er

The top died off of one of my little canes and I cut the brown part off
at a segment, but have no leaf there. Do you have any secrets about
getting them to take root and sprout leaves.

A pinch of fertilizer maybe? Kind? Thanks. Gae

Old 18-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Hope Munro Smith

One of mine has the same problem. I'll see if I can find
some information and I'll pass it along!

Old 18-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Hope Munro Smith

In article ,
G a e X a v i er wrote:

The top died off of one of my little canes and I cut the brown part off
at a segment, but have no leaf there. Do you have any secrets about
getting them to take root and sprout leaves.

A pinch of fertilizer maybe? Kind? Thanks. Gae

Ok, here are some tips I've found online:

The Lucky Bamboo is a distinctive and beautiful tropical plant that has
naked branches ending in tufts of sword-shaped leaves. Its stalk won't
grow any taller once cut, as it's the leaves of the plant that grow and
slowly develop into stalks themselves. Once a leaf has developed into a
stalk, it can be clipped at its base -- where it was sprouted -- and
placed in distilled water to start more bamboo.

The "parent" stalk in turn produces more little leaf sprouts. If a piece
of Lucky Bamboo starts turning yellow, clip below the infected area or
above, as it may start from the bottom. Then simply discard that portion
of the yellow stalk. Because it is relatively long-lived and easy to
care for, the Lucky Bamboo is a great low-maintenance, high-value gift
idea!

---

So it sounds like another leaf will grow in the place of the old one.
I've noticed they do grow pretty slowly. Last year one did turn
yellow and mushy -- the advice I got was to throw it away, which is what
I did.

As for roots, I don't thinks it's a problem if they grow slowly.
Another site recommended changing the water by putting the container
under the faucet and running out the old water, as opposed to disturbing
the plants every time. You *are* keeping them in water, not soil?
Old 18-05-2003, 11:32 PM
animaux

I have to laugh! Before us westerners started buying lucky bamboo (really
dracena and not bamboo) they only charged about two dollars for a very large
straight OR curly stem.

I love that store and think everyone should try a mung bean cake. Great stuff.

Old 19-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Hope Munro Smith

By the way, have you found a store that sells the lucky charms you can hang
on your lucky bamboo? I found a site online, but it's wholesale. I don't
need 25 charms, just a few!

animaux wrote in
:

Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:34:42 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I love that store and think everyone should try a mung bean cake. Great stuff.

Reminds me of the John Prine song that quotes,

"This times she was a-goin too far"

Mung beans?

Rusty (no mug beans, please) Mase

Old 20-05-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

I'm not familiar with the charms. When you go back to Hong Kong Market, ask
them. Sometimes they sell things which are not always out in the open.

I wanted a Baqua mirror. It was not in the showcase so I asked and out came the
8 sided mirror!

Old 20-05-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

wrote:

I love that store and think everyone should try a mung bean cake. Great stuff.

Reminds me of the John Prine song that quotes,

"This times she was a-goin too far"

Mung beans?

Rusty (no mug beans, please) Mase

Sure, mung beans! I sprout them among 20 different other types of seeds for my
parrot! If it's good for my parrot, it's good for me.

Old 20-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Hope Munro Smith

animaux wrote in
:

wrote:

I love that store and think everyone should try a mung bean cake.
Great stuff.

Reminds me of the John Prine song that quotes,

"This times she was a-goin too far"

Mung beans?

Rusty (no mug beans, please) Mase

Sure, mung beans! I sprout them among 20 different other types of
seeds for my parrot! If it's good for my parrot, it's good for me.

Is a mung bean cake sweet or savory?
Old 20-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Hope Munro Smith

LOL, ok I believe you! I'm not sure when I'll get over there again but
I'll let you know what happens.

animaux wrote in
news

wrote:

By the way, have you found a store that sells the lucky charms you can
hang on your lucky bamboo? I found a site online, but it's wholesale.
I don't need 25 charms, just a few!

animaux wrote in
m:

Old 21-05-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:16:49 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Is a mung bean cake sweet or savory?

It's a sweet. During the Moon Festival the Asian people make moon cakes.
Usually this is a similar cake, but with a whole egg yolk in the center to
represent the moon.

The common ordinary ones come in packs of four by the register. Make sure they
feel a bit soft to the touch or they may not be fresh. They are two dollars.

Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Hope Munro Smith

animaux wrote in
:

wrote:

Is a mung bean cake sweet or savory?

It's a sweet. During the Moon Festival the Asian people make moon
cakes. Usually this is a similar cake, but with a whole egg yolk in
the center to represent the moon.

The common ordinary ones come in packs of four by the register. Make
sure they feel a bit soft to the touch or they may not be fresh. They
are two dollars.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I turn up in for lucky bamboo
accessories, etc.
Old 24-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Carol Adams

Rooting hormone works wonders for getting cuttings to root. You can get it
at any garden store for $5 - $6.

carol

news