Old 30-03-2004, 01:12 AM
goosefork

Default Brown Discolouration on a Plant

I know so little about plants but I recently decided to branch out and
try to put a few in my community tank. I saw a plant that I really
liked and added it to the tank even though the LFS could not tell me
the plant's name. That was two months ago. The plant is a fairly
light green with a long stalk (actually more than one long stalk, as
there are 4 of the plants planted together and a large fern like
structure at the top with many small leaves all facing up. The top of
the plant has started to turn brown. Now the brown discolouration is
so dark that it is almost black. The plant sort of looks like it was
burned on the top. The rest of the plant appears uneffected. I have
4 other types of plants in the tank and none of the others are having
this problem. The plant is under the lights but my lighting is not
very strong and in fact I had worried that it might not be strong
enough to support plants. All of my other plants seem fine though
they are not growing, just maintaining themselves.

Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:45 PM
goosefork

I have moved the plant to a corner of the tank, but I am still looking
for ideas as to what is wrong.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:53 PM
RedForeman ©®

I have moved the plant to a corner of the tank, but I am still looking
for ideas as to what is wrong.

There are many types of plants being sold at your LFS, chances are, you may
have bought a bog plant, that is not supposed to be under water...

If that's NOT it.. could be low lighting, and transplanting shock... Some
plants will look brown on the edges, because you/someone snipped their roots
and were moved, which can show signs of shock...

Look into building a canopy that has more lights, and you can also call
AHSupply, www.ahsupply.com and www.hellolights.com to find more lights in
general.

you can also google search for aquatic lighting and/or search
http://www.thekrib.com/ to find out more
http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/People/Darn/darn3.html
--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
==========================
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).

Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 PM
goosefork

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
There are many types of plants being sold at your LFS, chances are, you may
have bought a bog plant, that is not supposed to be under water...

If that's NOT it.. could be low lighting, and transplanting shock... Some
plants will look brown on the edges, because you/someone snipped their roots
and were moved, which can show signs of shock...

Look into building a canopy that has more lights, and you can also call
AHSupply, www.ahsupply.com and www.hellolights.com to find more lights in
general.

Thanks for the ideas! For some reason I thought that the plant was
getting too MUCH light as it was completely dark brown on the top. I
moved it to a shadier area. Hope I haven't make a big mistake! I
will watch it carefully. Guess I was too hasty. Looks like I
will have to redecorate again this weekend.

BTW, why would the LFS sell me a plant that should not be under water?
Is this some kind of well known trick or is there some home use for
bog plants that I don't know about. AND, if it is a bog plant,
perhaps I should give it to my friend for her pond. Would it do
better there?
Old 07-04-2004, 04:35 PM
RedForeman ©®

"goosefork" wrote in message
BTW, why would the LFS sell me a plant that should not be under water?
Is this some kind of well known trick or is there some home use for
bog plants that I don't know about. AND, if it is a bog plant,
perhaps I should give it to my friend for her pond. Would it do
better there?

If it IS a bog plant, then your friend could use it...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike streetfighter!!!
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....

is that better??