Old 03-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Squid

Default State Restrictions in California Regarding Live Plants

I was checking out The Fish Place's plant selection and I noticed that
they won't ship out to California due to state restrictions. Does
anybody know what the deal is with this?

Old 04-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Cichlidiot

Squid wrote:
I was checking out The Fish Place's plant selection and I noticed that
they won't ship out to California due to state restrictions. Does
anybody know what the deal is with this?

The state has a noxious plant list, which contains several common aquarium
plants. Many other states have such lists though. The idea is that there
are restrictions on importing/shipping plants from that list into
California.

Here's a list of noxious plants from a CA gov website. It includes
terrestrial plants too, so rather long:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/enc...oweedia_hp.htm

Here's another link with regulations and plant lists:

http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/pqm/manual/htm/107.htm

Funny thing is several of the aquatic plants on those lists are also on
the federal list, so technically shipping them anywhere could be an issue.
Here's CA's page of the USDA plants:

http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/weedinfo/winfo...ednoxweeds.htm

And even more amusing to me is that you can walk into almost any fish
store, chain and LFS, and find many of the plants for sale. So obviously
the controls on shipping aren't too tight (or they paid for some sort of
permit perhaps). I don't know for sure about That Fish Place's policies,
but maybe they got burned and decided to just not do business with people
in that state.
Old 16-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Charles

On Mon, 3 May 2004 22:57:46 +0000 (UTC), Cichlidiot
wrote:

Squid wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't do business shipping into California, and I live here. I
have looked at those sites before and tried to figure out what the
rules are.

Example: Water Lettuce. Pistia stratiotes.

It is rated "Q"

Quoting from the site

"Q"
An organism or disorder requiring temporary "A" action pending
determination of a permanent rating. The organism is suspected to be
of economic importance but its status is uncertain because of
incomplete identification or inadequate information.
In the case of an established infestation, at the discretion of the
Assistant Director for Plant Industry, the Department will conduct
surveys and will convene the Division Pest Study Team to determine a
permanent rating.

so, can it be shipped here or not? Who knows? A shipment might be
accepted or rejected at the discretion (whim?) of any inspector.
--

- Charles
-