Old 27-05-2004, 05:07 AM

Default my ammano shrimp has bred

Mon nite my sister noticed that my ammano shrimp had something under it.
I have researched on internet and found the site below

http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/breeding_yamato.htm

Tue I bought a small acrylic tank from petcetera(1.5 gal??)
moved mother into with airstone on alittle with some java moss.
I ordered some golden pearls 5-50 micron size from below

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/golden-pearls.html

but shipping to canada takes 3 to five days .
I have put aquarium water in ziploc container to turn to green water.
The mother has let the eggs go on tue afternoon (hour after moving her)
The fry are swinmming .I have ground up some sprillina flakes into powder
but the fry are not eating it.this being wed day 2 they have not eaten
any ideas?? i did not want to use liquid fry food as not all have hatched
and i do not want to spoil the water.
how about water changes?? the fry swim throught the water and are small
perhaps smaller than brine shrimp.
thankyou in advance les
Old 28-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Michi Henning

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

Amano fry need salt water to survive.

Hmmm... According to the description at
http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/breeding_yamato.htm,
that's not true:

Note: do NOT place the female in brackish water! While I found out that
adults
survive quite high salinities, the eggs fail to hatch if the water is
brackish - I lost
two batches this way.

Cheers,

Michi.
--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Old 30-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Victor Martinez

Michi Henning wrote:
Hmmm... According to the description at
http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/breeding_yamato.htm,
that's not true:

Actually, if you bother to read the whole page:

In nature, adult Amano-shrimp live in mountain streams, but the larvae
are washed out into the sea, where they feed on marine plankton and
grow. After metamorphosis they migrate back up into the streams. We must
mimic this cycle in order to breed the shrimp. Therefore the larvae have
to be transferred to salt water as soon as possible, at the latest at
the 8th day after hatching, because after that they become unable to
live in fresh water - or in insufficiently salty brackish water, for
that matter. There is no need to gradually increase salinity, the larvae
have no problem being unceremoniously dumped straight into salt water.
To make the salt water, I would suggest using either filtered natural
seawater, or a quality commercial salt mix intended for coral reef
aquaria, e.g. Instant Ocean, which should be aerated vigorously prior to
use.

While there are numerous reports of Amano-shrimp reproducing in
freshwater, my own experiments at using pure freshwater met with total
failure. I believe most such reports are cases of mistaken identity
(e.g. Tow Fui's guide, which surely concerns some smaller species with
direct development, not Caridina japonica). Still, there are so many
trustworthy reports of spontaneous low-level reproduction in freshwater
aquaria that I must conclude that occasionally some larvae may survive
to adulthood even in pure freshwater.

One guide suggest that 17 ppt (parts per thousand) is a good salinity
for raising the shrimp, but when I first tried 17, and then 25 ppt, I
saw 97% losses in the first three weeks, with the bulk of losses
occurring day 8 and 9, and very slow growth. By contrast, when I used
full marine salinity (35 ppt), I have not had any noticeable losses, and
growth has been rapid. Another guide on the net who, like me,
experimented with different salinities come to the same conclusion: any
salinity below 30 ppt will result in heavy larval losses!

I've used an airstone with reduced flow for circulation. One guide
advised against this, on the grounds that the shrimp larvae get trapped
in the surface tension. With my first batches I had no such problem, but
with a later batch I did indeed experience losses because larvae got
trapped in the surface and died. The main difference was that I had not
changed water as frequently, and a surface film had formed. I removed
the film mechanically and increased circulation and airflow, and larvae
no longer got trapped. I also suggest frequent, small, water changes to
maintain water quality - I tried to change 20% every two days.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 30-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Michi Henning

Michi Henning wrote:
Hmmm... According to the description at
http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/breeding_yamato.htm,
that's not true:

Actually, if you bother to read the whole page:

In nature, adult Amano-shrimp live in mountain streams, but the larvae
are washed out into the sea, where they feed on marine plankton and
grow. After metamorphosis they migrate back up into the streams. We must
mimic this cycle in order to breed the shrimp. Therefore the larvae have
to be transferred to salt water as soon as possible, at the latest at
the 8th day after hatching, because after that they become unable to
live in fresh water - or in insufficiently salty brackish water, for
that matter. There is no need to gradually increase salinity, the larvae
have no problem being unceremoniously dumped straight into salt water.

Ah, I missed that bit, thanks!

Cheers,

Michi.

Pond bred Fantails PatC Ponds 10 11-11-2006 11:24 AM
AzGardens - Shrimp ? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 18 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
shrimp roe for Koi? Pam & Jake Shanley Ponds 1 14-04-2003 01:45 PM
Ghost Shrimp Question Randal Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 26-02-2003 02:58 PM
Amano and Ghost Shrimp Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 20 25-02-2003 12:01 PM