Old 08-11-2006, 11:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Pond bred Fantails

Hi
My Fantails spawned in the potted weeds. I moved the pots to a section of
the pond that has no other fish in it, & a number of babies have hatched a
week ago.
They seem to be doing OK but I am wondering if /when/what I should be doing
about feeding them.
Can they survive on the mico-organisms in the pond water & if so for how
long?
Thanks for any response
Pat

Old 08-11-2006, 12:27 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 22:03:54 +1100, "PatC" wrote:

Hi
My Fantails spawned in the potted weeds. I moved the pots to a section of
the pond that has no other fish in it, & a number of babies have hatched a
week ago.
They seem to be doing OK but I am wondering if /when/what I should be doing
about feeding them.
Can they survive on the mico-organisms in the pond water & if so for how
long?
Thanks for any response
Pat

Depending on how many you have in the area. A fish farmer that used
to advise us here recommended boiled egg yolk as a good supplement,
but they really get their start on microaquatics.

Regards,

Hal
Old 08-11-2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

"PatC" wrote in message
Hi
My Fantails spawned in the potted weeds. I moved the pots to a section of
the pond that has no other fish in it, & a number of babies have hatched a
week ago.
They seem to be doing OK but I am wondering if /when/what I should be
doing
about feeding them.
Can they survive on the mico-organisms in the pond water & if so for how
long?
Thanks for any response

=========================
How many are there and how many gallons is the pond area they're in? If
there are many hundreds of fry they will need feeding unless the pond area
is large, say 1000g or more with a lot of plants.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

"PatC" wrote in message
I have no idea what this is all about, obviously I'm missing some subtle
message??

Anyway should I be thanking folks for their answers?

OK, the area that they are in is quite small, say approx 20 - 30 gallons.
The water is fairly well planted & has algae growth.
There could be anywhere between 50 - 100 or more or less, who knows how to
count the fry!
So when & if & what should I be putting into their environment?
Thanks for some answers that don't totally confuse me with all the other
nonsense.

======================
Ignore the religious Trolls attacking this NG.

That's much too small an area to raise more than perhaps 10 fry in. They
would be better off in the pond itself. If there are plants in the pond
enough will survive to keep you in fish for awhile. :-) Trying to keep
fry healthy and growing in too small an environment doesn't work to well.
Been there - done that. I use pools no smaller than 150g each to start the
fry off....... see my website below:
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

"PatC" wrote in message
I have no idea what this is all about, obviously I'm missing some subtle
message??

It's a post from the Jehovahs Witness religious fanatic trying to have a
poster here named Koi-lo beat up or murdered. The man's insane, changes his
name several times a day and has infested this group for 2 years.

Anyway should I be thanking folks for their answers?

OK, the area that they are in is quite small, say approx 20 - 30 gallons.
The water is fairly well planted & has algae growth.
There could be anywhere between 50 - 100 or more or less, who knows how to
count the fry!
So when & if & what should I be putting into their environment?
Thanks for some answers that don't totally confuse me with all the other
nonsense.

"Tleilax" wrote in message
ups.com...
No, it seems you are "Henry" AKA Koi-lo..
Who else would NYM shift when the truth is exposed about you...

Henry Mankinna wrote:
You kOoking out again Antonio?

Obsession with your victim noted Ko0k.

"Tleilax" wrote in message
ups.com...

Köi-Lö wrote:
"PatC" wrote in message

Hi
My Fantails spawned in the potted weeds. I moved the pots to a
section
of
the pond that has no other fish in it, & a number of babies have

hatched
week ago.
They seem to be doing OK but I am wondering if /when/what I should be
doing
about feeding them.
Can they survive on the mico-organisms in the pond water & if so for

how
long?
Thanks for any response
=========================
How many are there and how many gallons is the pond area they're in?

So you can ask the same question on a pond forum and then reply here
back as if it was your own?

You know Carol.. that the sign of a Kook.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:48:21 +1100, "PatC" wrote:

I have no idea what this is all about, obviously I'm missing some subtle
message??

First off, don't cross post. When you hit reply, look and see what
newsgroups your message is going to, if your news reader doesn't let you
know with a prompt.

Anyway should I be thanking folks for their answers?

That's always nice. :-) At least we know we weren't wasting our time giving
it.

OK, the area that they are in is quite small, say approx 20 - 30 gallons.

That's pretty small. So I'd say supplement their food. You can buy liquid
fry food at an aquarium store.

There could be anywhere between 50 - 100 or more or less, who knows how to
count the fry!

Try to reduce that number, or they will by eating each other.... and that's
okay too, natural selection. The biggest problem is water quality as they
grow with that many.

So when & if & what should I be putting into their environment?

You might want to pick up some test kits so you can monitor the ammonia,
nitrite, pH, & KH.

Thanks for some answers that don't totally confuse me with all the other
nonsense.

Just delete the nonsense next time and keep what's relevant, the kooks are
those who can't keep their goofiness in their own newsgroups... but
crossposting will draw them here faster than a picnic draws hornets in
August. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.ponds

"~ janj" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks & OK, I never understood about cross posting, but I see that if I
reply to some answers it actually goes to a number of other sites.
Please excuse my ignorance & I will ensure in future that I check before
sending & delete those other groups. How do they get there in the first
place when I'm only trying to reply to this group? Oh well probably too hard
to explain to me, but I do appreciate your help, (everyone that is!)
Please excuse this old girl for being so trusting!!!
Pat

Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Köi-Lö" wrote in message
"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

KL
I checked out your website & now I am green with envy.
I wish... If only we owned the place we live in we could try it on a smaller
scale, ho hum
thanks again
Pat

Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds

Note I deleted everything except your reply. Trolls don't need any more
advertisement of their selfish rudeness.

Thanks & OK, I never understood about cross posting, but I see that if I
reply to some answers it actually goes to a number of other sites.
Please excuse my ignorance & I will ensure in future that I check before
sending & delete those other groups. How do they get there in the first
place when I'm only trying to reply to this group? Oh well probably too hard
to explain to me, but I do appreciate your help, (everyone that is!)
Please excuse this old girl for being so trusting!!!
Pat

When you reply to a post that they've answered it can happen automatically.
A lot depends on your newsreader. I use Agent Forte which comes up with a
prompt asking me if I want to post to only current newsgroup or all
newsgroups the poster I'm replying to did? Agent Forte also has a filter,
so I filter out all the kooks.... and even some ponders/kooks who attract
the other kooks here. Unfortunately some people have an amazingly amount of
free time coupled w/loneliness and negative attention is just as good to
them as positive. ~ jan
--------------

Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.ponds

"~ janj" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jan & thanks for the info.
How sad is it that these people have nothing better to do. I hope that never
happens to me, not that I would find this type of waste of time any
entertainment, surely there are better ways.
How sick is that?
If I was THAT bored I would go & dig some weeds out of the yard.
BTW I loved your pics & thanks again.
Pat

my ammano shrimp has bred [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 30-05-2004 11:09 PM
Baby fantails ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 14 23-08-2003 03:02 PM
fantails dieing help! dkat Ponds 8 21-07-2003 02:14 AM
Pregnant fantails???? rlb827 Ponds 3 26-06-2003 03:20 AM
Fantails in the Garden Frogleg Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:34 AM