Old 11-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Cammie

Default a tank without plants?

Is it possible to have a successful freshwater tank without plants?

will there be more algae and/or water problems without plants there?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Dances With Ferrets

What a horrible concept, completely void of chewy goodness and higher
inspiration. How could one possibly do without greenery in a tank
(besides a cichlid aquarium)? It is now obvious that you are
possessed of an evil spirit. I bet you torture kittens too.

In other words, it's possible, if that's what you prefer. Just make
sure you stock your tank slowly.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Cammie

"Dances With Ferrets" wrote in message
om...
What a horrible concept, completely void of chewy goodness and higher
inspiration. How could one possibly do without greenery in a tank
(besides a cichlid aquarium)? It is now obvious that you are
possessed of an evil spirit. I bet you torture kittens too.

Ok, put down the bong for a moment here while I explain... Have had tanks
for years, most successful with plants without algae outbreaks,etc. I have
a 20 gallon with 3 red cap orandas in it. I have filtration on it that is
for up to a 30 gallon tank, I do regular water changes, I have a timer so
the lights are not on longer then 10 hours, no sunlight, no overfeeding, all
water parameter test show everything is perfect. I have these little
cluster, or tufts of hair algae. On the glass it is fine, I can clean that,
but these tuft start to grow around the edges of all my plants, no matter
the kind. Every two months I'm replacing the plants because they are
"furry" and just plain unsightly and bizarre looking.

My current batch of plants now too are just starting to get hairy tufts
around the edges of their leaves, I'm ready to do without plants at all at
this point. That is why I asked if I can just do without the plants and not
have algae outbreaks, water quality problems, etc. So far I cant point out
why this outbreak of algae "tufts", I've done tanks for years and now the
last 6 months I cant do anything right and I haven't changed anything I do.

You may now pick up your bong again, take a toke for me. ;-)

Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Happy'Cam'per

"Cammie" wrote in message
[...]

The "tufts" you are referring to are commonly known as BBA or black brush
algae. It's a tenacious bitch It is possible to defeat it though, you
need to start adding co2. and you have too many gold fish in a 20 gallon ;o
Google bba and read all you can, theres loads of info on how to avoid it.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
johnhuddleston

The "tufts" you are referring to are commonly known as BBA or black brush
algae. It's a tenacious bitch It is possible to defeat it though, you
need to start adding co2. and you have too many gold fish in a 20 gallon

;o
Google bba and read all you can, theres loads of info on how to avoid it.

Damn British Bankers Association. if only the RSPCA had the financial muscle
to deal with them.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"johnhuddleston" wrote in message

Damn British Bankers Association. if only the RSPCA had the financial

muscle
to deal with them.

ROFLMAO
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 14-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Cammie

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote
The "tufts" you are referring to are commonly known as BBA or black brush

algae. It's a tenacious bitch It is possible to defeat it though, you
need to start adding co2. and you have too many gold fish in a 20 gallon ;o

really? 3 red cap orandas is too much in a 20 gallon? they are about 4
inches long including their tails. Thanks for the tip, I'll read up on BBA.