Old 20-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Ryan Powers

Default Lighting small but deep tank

I'm looking at setting up a small but deep planted tank. A 20 XH to be
exact. This makes it 20" wide and 24" deep.

I'd like to get enough light down towards the bottom that even species
that need a lot of light will be feasible. I figure I can always
paritally shade stuff that's getting too much.

But that's a lot of water depth to put light through, so I was
thinking power compacts may be the way to go.

36 watt PC's should fit over it nicely, and putting two over it should
be fairly simple. So would two 36 watt PC's likely be enough/too
much/not enough?

I've never had a planted tank this deep before, and never even seen
one this deep that wasn't way long with lots of light over the top.

Thanks,

Ryan Powers