Old 10-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Bill Stock

Default Shop Lights

Silly question.

How long are the shop light fixtures? I know they're all slightly different,
based on the brand. But, given that the bulbs are 48", the fixture must be
at least 49"? I'll be using the HD lights most likely. (I know, go buy one)

I want to build a canopy to match my stand, so I'm just wondering about the
logidstics/design. How much slack am I likely to need? Tank is 48.25 BTW.

Old 16-09-2004, 05:55 AM
JunkCollector

Any 48" shop lights that I have ever seen or heard of, or if you measure
out the true dimensions, they will fit INSIDE a 48" space. The bulbs are
more like 47" or 47.5" which will fit in (I don't have exact dimensions
handy). Most 48" fish tanks are actually 48.5 inches long so a canapy
wall up either side of the tank will provide enough (plus a tiny bit of
extra) space for any shop light...

The depth of the shop light is more of a concern if you want to keep a
"SLIM" canopy. You can always put the ballast on the back though if you
want. I have always just taken the standard 48" shop lights, chopped one
of the metal fixture into an shorter 24" box and put it on the back of the
stand with 2 or more ballasts in one. Then you wire out (with waterproof
wire track) to the bulb ends (waterproof if you can find em). This gives
you much more space below the bulbs so they are not too close to the glass
and makes it easier to mount reflectors above the bulbs in the canopy as
well. Then a fan or two if you need em as well to keep it all cool don't
forget...

Enjoy...
Mike

Old 16-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Charles

wrote:

Silly question.

How long are the shop light fixtures? I know they're all slightly different,
based on the brand. But, given that the bulbs are 48", the fixture must be
at least 49"? I'll be using the HD lights most likely. (I know, go buy one)

I want to build a canopy to match my stand, so I'm just wondering about the
logidstics/design. How much slack am I likely to need? Tank is 48.25 BTW.

One of mine is 48 1/16, the other 49 1/2 inches.

there are also switches or cords coming out the ends, those could be
changed if you desired.
--

- Charles
-
Old 16-09-2004, 02:35 PM
kev

On 16 Sep 2004, the world was enlightened by JunkCollector's opinion
about...

Any 48" shop lights that I have ever seen or heard of, or if you
measure out the true dimensions, they will fit INSIDE a 48" space.
The bulbs are more like 47" or 47.5" which will fit in (I don't have

snip

Oddly enough, 48" 40W T12 and 32W T8 bulbs are 48"... Go figure.

A typical shoplight is in the 48 3/8" to 48 1/2" range for length.

kev

--
Civilization.

An organized system of alternatives to the stone age - CJCherryh

Old 16-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Bill Stock

"JunkCollector" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks,

I'll likely be going for a tall canopy this time around, so I can install
some fans. The previous tank got too warm from the lights.

I rolled my own last time (ballast in back) and went with A.H. Supply.
Worked well, but I'm hoping to be cheaper this time.

Old 16-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Bill Stock

wrote:

Silly question.

How long are the shop light fixtures? I know they're all slightly

different,
based on the brand. But, given that the bulbs are 48", the fixture must

be
at least 49"? I'll be using the HD lights most likely. (I know, go buy

one)

I want to build a canopy to match my stand, so I'm just wondering about

the
logidstics/design. How much slack am I likely to need? Tank is 48.25 BTW.

One of mine is 48 1/16, the other 49 1/2 inches.

Yowser, that's quite a variation. Time to go shopping.