Old 14-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Aaron

Default Lighting my new tank with shop lights.

Since I got a larger tank for my anubias plant. I was
wondering about the shop light. I looked on google and some
people use them, is that good enough? I plan on getting other
plants, even high light requiring ones.

I was at the hardware store earlier and the lights don't cost
too much, but I can't find the sunshine bulb that was
mentioned.

Thanks for the info.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Nick Wise

Aaron wrote:
Since I got a larger tank for my anubias plant. I was
wondering about the shop light. I looked on google and some
people use them, is that good enough? I plan on getting other
plants, even high light requiring ones.

I was at the hardware store earlier and the lights don't cost
too much, but I can't find the sunshine bulb that was
mentioned.

Thanks for the info.

What size tank? What kind of shop lights? Do they have one or two
bulbs, how long are they, etc.....

Old 15-04-2005, 01:34 AM

I grow java fern in my big tank with a shop light. 48", 2 bulbs, 1 bulb
25 watt, the other a 40 watter. Am trying some anubias and crypts as
well now. Later!

Old 15-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Ozdude

"Aaron" wrote in message
a.net...

Since I got a larger tank for my anubias plant. I was
wondering about the shop light. I looked on google and some
people use them, is that good enough? I plan on getting other
plants, even high light requiring ones.

I was at the hardware store earlier and the lights don't cost
too much, but I can't find the sunshine bulb that was
mentioned.

Thanks for the info.

I use 2 X 36W tubes (1 Plant Spectrum and 1 Philips Aquarelle) in a shop
light fitting on a 4ft tank.

The plants going gangbusters and growing like mad, so yes you can use those
types of fittings

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old 15-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Nick Wise

Actually, shop lights come in 1,2,3,4 and 8 foot lengths. I suggest
you buy 2 or three double bulb shop lights. That should work out fine.

Old 16-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Bill Stock

"Aaron" wrote in message
a.net...

Since I got a larger tank for my anubias plant. I was
wondering about the shop light. I looked on google and some
people use them, is that good enough? I plan on getting other
plants, even high light requiring ones.

I was at the hardware store earlier and the lights don't cost
too much, but I can't find the sunshine bulb that was
mentioned.

Thanks for the info.

I built the lights for both of my tanks.

Tank 1 is a 3' 55 gallon. I lit this with a kit from AH Supply. Very nice,
easy to build.

Tank 2 is a 4' 75 gallon. I lit this with 2x 2 light T8 shop lights. I ended
up stripping out the ballast and sockets and building them into my own hood.
I didn't really save much, as the T8 lights are not as cheap. Plus it was a
bit of a PITA to make my own reflector and attach the sockets. But I should
save on bulbs in the long run.

Old 16-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Cichlidiot

Aaron wrote:

60gallon, the tank is 4 feet long which is the size of shop
lights.

You'll need to know a couple things. First see what diameter (T12, T8,
etc) bulbs your shop light fixture uses. This should be in the
docmentation for the fixture or you can ask the store where you bought it.
Also see if it uses a magnetic or electronic ballast. This will determine
what kind of bulbs you can buy.
Old 16-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Aaron

I want the cheap ones that people hang in the shop and buy the
standard size, I saw some for $15 that will fit 2 bulbs. I
don't know what T size that is. But I saw in the store a plant
bulb with pictures of plants that looks standard size.

Thanks for the info.

In article ,
lid says...

Old 16-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Glenn

There is no difference in a fixture or the ballast for any T12 or T8 NO
bulbs. Shop light fixtures will take either one just fine, and the ballast
will start either one just fine.
Shop lights are cheap, and that is due mainly to the fact that they use
magnetic ballasts and cheap looking fixtures. If you don't mind the way
they look, then go for it.
If you decide that you want electronic ballasts, which have instant start,
can run the bulbs using less electricity, make the bulbs last longer, and
burn brighter in many cases--you can upgrade the ballasts. You may even
want to consider upgrading the whole fixture to improve looks.
.net...

Old 16-04-2005, 11:51 PM
kev

On 16 Apr 2005, the world was enlightened by Glenn's opinion about...

.net...

Aaron wrote:

[...]

Some retailers like Wal-Mart (Lights of America) and Home Depot (Commercial
Electric) sell shop lights that have electronic ballasts for under $15. Be
sure to check the packaging. The ballasts are not WorkHorse or Icecap
grade but they are electronic. I have 2 of the LoA faux stainless fixtures
over my 55g and they work well.

kev

--
Civilization.

An organized system of alternatives to the stone age - CJCherryh

Old 17-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev
On 16 Apr 2005, the world was enlightened by Glenn's opinion about...

.net...

wrote:

[...]

i have been on a website called plantedtank.com and there was something on ther eabout using shoplights and it said that they were no good as the light is not concentrated enough.
Old 18-04-2005, 02:57 PM
kev

On 17 Apr 2005, the world was enlightened by huytonhead's opinion about...

i have been on a website called plantedtank.com and there was something
on ther eabout using shoplights and it said that they were no good as
the light is not concentrated enough.

Lucky for me my plants have never been to plantedtank.com.

I'm using two Lights of America shoplights with two, T12, 40watt bulbs in
each. Two GE 6500K daylights and two GE Plant & Aquarium wide-spectrums.
My plants are doing very well. Could I have better reflectors? Sure. But
what I have now works well enough.

--
kev

Gravity. It isn't just a good idea. It's the law. - Gerry Mooney, 1977.