Old 22-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Craig Brye

Default Green Water

I'm just wondering what the consensus on what the cause of green water is now a days?

I've heard everything from too much Fe, too much Nitrates, too much NH4, etc. I don't have green water currently, but I did get it a lot when I first got into plants a few years ago. I really struggled back then to cure it.

Just curious as to what people think the cause is.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 22-09-2004, 05:01 AM
Flatspin

Trick question as green water is caused by algae! The real question,
what caused the algae?

Old 22-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Jim K

I had the same thing happen when I first set up my aquarium. Too many
nutrients in the water and too much light. I tried a blackout, water
changes, etc. It got so bad that I could literally not see into the tank. It
was completely pea soup.

I finally purchased a UV sterilizer and the water cleared up within 48
hours. I've left it on ever since and have never had a problem with floating
algae again.

Old 23-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Craig Brye

Wow... I never knew that... Thanks for clearing that up!

Does this group have some sort of "profound statement of the year" award?

Old 23-09-2004, 08:31 PM

"Craig Brye" wrote in message ...
I'm just wondering what the consensus on what the cause of green water
is now a days?

I've heard everything from too much Fe, too much Nitrates, too much NH4,
etc. I don't have green water currently, but I did get it a lot when I
first got into plants a few years ago. I really struggled back then to
cure it.

Just curious as to what people think the cause is.

NH4+ .......plain and simple when combined with higher light/CO2.

You can induce it and kill it and then repeat this many times if you
wish.
I used both bioload and also NH4 inorganic sources such as NH4Cl,
(NH4)2SO4 to check. A UV was used to kill the blooms and start again.

It's always there, it's just waiting for the right conditions, namely
NH4 and high light.

Blackout will kill mild lower light cases, but at high PC lighting, it
will hang on for months.
Daphnia, Diatom filters, UV's , mechnical methods of removal(micron
filters~5microns) are effective.

FYI: Fe, NO3, PO4 have never been shown to induce GW.
I've added these to rather high levels annd many do today and have no
green water inducement or any algae responses.

If you keep the other variables constant, then you can see what really
cuases GW by trying out each one at a time.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 23-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Craig Brye

Thanks for the info... Makes sense. The first time I had this about 3
years ago... it happened after I had trimmed a lot of my plants and changed
filter media in the same day. Dumb move, and also adds to your NH4
prognosis.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online