Old 29-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Nitesbane

Default I see the light!

I'll be upgrading the lighting on a 55 gallon planted tank soon from the
"standard" hood that came with it (equates to about .8 wpg) to PC
flourescents (just a little over 2 wpg). Should I expect a huge algae bloom
at first? Right now the only algae I have is a little bit of very short
green fuzz. Are my crypts (lucens and lutea) going to melt...again...?

Will 2 bottles of DIY CO2 be enough for this tank, or should I add a third?
Are there web pages about upgrading your lights that I'm missing?

Old 30-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Bill Stock

"Nitesbane" wrote in message
I'll be upgrading the lighting on a 55 gallon planted tank soon from the
"standard" hood that came with it (equates to about .8 wpg) to PC
flourescents (just a little over 2 wpg). Should I expect a huge algae

bloom
at first? Right now the only algae I have is a little bit of very short
green fuzz. Are my crypts (lucens and lutea) going to melt...again...?

Will 2 bottles of DIY CO2 be enough for this tank, or should I add a

third?
Are there web pages about upgrading your lights that I'm missing?

I went from 25W to 144W PC and did not notice a huge algae bloom, but then I
don't have any CO2.

Old 30-09-2004, 01:38 AM
Craig Brye

You shouldn't as long as you've done the research (proper CO2 levels,
nutrients, etc.). It really is that simple.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 30-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Nitesbane

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Nitesbane" wrote in message
I'll be upgrading the lighting on a 55 gallon planted tank soon from the
"standard" hood that came with it (equates to about .8 wpg) to PC
flourescents (just a little over 2 wpg). Should I expect a huge algae

bloom
at first? Right now the only algae I have is a little bit of very short
green fuzz. Are my crypts (lucens and lutea) going to melt...again...?

Will 2 bottles of DIY CO2 be enough for this tank, or should I add a

third?
Are there web pages about upgrading your lights that I'm missing?

I went from 25W to 144W PC and did not notice a huge algae bloom, but then

don't have any CO2.

Did you notice *any* algae bloom? What kind of algae? How long did it
last?

Old 01-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2004-09-30, Craig Brye wrote:
You shouldn't as long as you've done the research (proper CO2 levels,
nutrients, etc.). It really is that simple.

I agree - a little over 2wpg isn't a ridiculous amount of light or
anything. CO2 will help, but you could probably get away relatively
unscathed without it. Just watch that you don't over-fertilize. In the
2wpg range that'll do it every time!

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 07-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Fish-Forums.com

With plenty of plants you should not have a problem

Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up
http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com