GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which fert should I reduce to cut algae growth? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/88607-fert-should-i-reduce-cut-algae-growth.html)

blank 11-01-2005 08:35 AM

Which fert should I reduce to cut algae growth?

I have a 75 gal low light (3x 30w fluros) tank with about 50-60% plant
cover, and approx 100 small fish (good balance of varieties, including
bottom feeders, loaches, corys etc). The plants are all common varieties,
eg., java fern, java moss, elodea, amazon swords etc etc. Each week I do a
50% water change and add the following Seachem products: 35ml Excel, 3ml
Supplement, 4ml Nitrogen, 4ml Phosphorous, 10ml Potassium, 7ml Iron.
Filtration is an Eheim Pro II 2028.

No doubt many of you will be horrified at that brew, but I can assure you it
works, and the tank looks fantastic--terrific plants with moderate growth
and fish that are very happy and healthy. I'm completely satisfied with the
look, it's beautiful, just what I wanted. But ........

There is a small problem with algae. It's not serious, but about once per
month I have to trim some outer leaves off due to a dark green, dense algae
which forms along the edges of the leaves (and on the driftwood). I am
confident I don't overfeed (well, maybe just a tiny, tiny bit once in a
while), so I guess the algae is the result of overfertilising.

So my question is, which of the above ferts should I start reducing to try
to achieve perfection? I don't want to change the whole regime, because, as
I said, it works. I just want to tweak it a bit to reduce the relatively
minor algae problem. Thanks for any constructive advice.

Eric Schreiber 11-01-2005 10:10 AM

blank wrote:

Seachem products: 35ml Excel, 3ml Supplement, 4ml Nitrogen, 4ml
Phosphorous, 10ml Potassium, 7ml Iron.

dense algae which forms along the edges of the leaves

I am confident I don't overfeed (well, maybe just a
tiny, tiny bit once in a while)

I've been seeing some of that same kind of algae lately. Unfortunately,
I can't honestly claim not to overfeed, as I'm definitely guilty of it.
I'm trying to change, really I am.

So my question is, which of the above ferts should I start reducing
to try to achieve perfection?

I would start with reducing or eliminating the phosphorous, and see
what happens. Unfortunately, there is no fast, sure-fire way to figure
it out, you'll just have to experiment with small changes and see what
effect they have. The fact that you do such a large water change each
week should help speed the experiment.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

blank 11-01-2005 11:19 AM

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message

I would start with reducing or eliminating the phosphorous, and see
what happens. Unfortunately, there is no fast, sure-fire way to figure
it out, you'll just have to experiment with small changes and see what
effect they have. The fact that you do such a large water change each
week should help speed the experiment.

OK, thanks Eric. You are a highly respected contributor to this group so I
will cut the Phosphorous back to 3ml for a month or so and watch what
happens. Much obliged.

blank 11-01-2005 11:24 AM

"blank" wrote in message

OK, thanks Eric. You are a highly respected contributor to this group so

will cut the Phosphorous back to 3ml for a month or so and watch what
happens. Much obliged.

OOPS, I meant cut it back BY 3ml. But what the hell, I will eliminate
it--what good is 1ml going to do anyway :)

Eric Schreiber 11-01-2005 12:06 PM

blank wrote:

You are a highly respected contributor to this group

If that's the case, this group is in SERIOUS trouble! I'm just a noob
hobbyist who reads a lot, and has had some small luck with a planted
tank. Really.

I will cut the Phosphorous back to 3ml for a month or so and
watch what happens. Much obliged.

Let us know how it goes.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

Richard 11-01-2005 05:49 PM

In article ,
blank wrote:

"blank" wrote in message

OK, thanks Eric. You are a highly respected contributor to this group so

will cut the Phosphorous back to 3ml for a month or so and watch what
happens. Much obliged.

OOPS, I meant cut it back BY 3ml. But what the hell, I will eliminate
it--what good is 1ml going to do anyway :)

Cut the phosphate and you'll get green spot algae. WHat you have
sounds like red algae, can you get a good pic of it?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

blank 12-01-2005 06:52 AM

"Richard" wrote
Cut the phosphate and you'll get green spot algae. WHat you have
sounds like red algae, can you get a good pic of it?

Yes, OK, I've taken the photos, but am having problems sending them. Once I
work it out I will post them to the binaries group and send an update to
this newsgroup.

js1 12-01-2005 07:22 AM

On 2005-01-11, blank wrote:
eg., java fern, java moss, elodea, amazon swords etc etc. Each week I do a
50% water change and add the following Seachem products: 35ml Excel, 3ml
Supplement, 4ml Nitrogen, 4ml Phosphorous, 10ml Potassium, 7ml Iron.
Filtration is an Eheim Pro II 2028.

If you do a search, you'll find interviews and articles from Seachem
reps who basically say that a tank stocked with fish should produce
enough nitrates and phosphates to feed the plants in a tank. Seems like
you only need nitrogen and phosphorus if you have little to no fauna.
I add Flourish, Excel, and potassium. My algae has come under control
even with it sitting next to a window.

blank 12-01-2005 09:17 AM

OK, the photos are on alt.binaries.aquaria--dont ask me how I managed it,
because Im not sure myself. But anyway, something worked. So any advice on
my algae problem much appreciated.

Richard 13-01-2005 02:59 AM

On 2005-01-11, blank wrote:
eg., java fern, java moss, elodea, amazon swords etc etc. Each week I do a
50% water change and add the following Seachem products: 35ml Excel, 3ml
Supplement, 4ml Nitrogen, 4ml Phosphorous, 10ml Potassium, 7ml Iron.
Filtration is an Eheim Pro II 2028.

If you do a search, you'll find interviews and articles from Seachem
reps who basically say that a tank stocked with fish should produce
enough nitrates and phosphates to feed the plants in a tank. Seems like
you only need nitrogen and phosphorus if you have little to no fauna.
I add Flourish, Excel, and potassium. My algae has come under control
even with it sitting next to a window.

Keep in mind Excel is an algicide.

js1 13-01-2005 03:21 AM

On 2005-01-13, Richard wrote:

Keep in mind Excel is an algicide.

Hmm... That makes the end of this interview more clear now.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html

Margolis 13-01-2005 06:34 AM

"Richard" wrote in message ...

Keep in mind Excel is an algicide.

Not really. In fact, algae grows quite well with excel, it seems to like
it.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Richard 13-01-2005 02:33 PM

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message ...

Keep in mind Excel is an algicide.

Not really. In fact, algae grows quite well with excel, it seems to like
it.

Yeah, really.

You must have way more algae than it can handle then. If you write to Greg,
CEO of Sea-Chem and ask him if it's safe to grow Cladophoa he'll tell
you no, it'll kill it. But US Government regulations prevent him from
claiming it's an algicide.

It may not be a great algicide but the acetyl compound in it that releases
carbon is death on algae. (Even acetic acid kills algae in small doses).

Victor Martinez 13-01-2005 05:11 PM

Richard wrote:
You must have way more algae than it can handle then. If you write to Greg,
CEO of Sea-Chem and ask him if it's safe to grow Cladophoa he'll tell
you no, it'll kill it. But US Government regulations prevent him from
claiming it's an algicide.

Does it work with all kinds of algae?

It may not be a great algicide but the acetyl compound in it that releases
carbon is death on algae. (Even acetic acid kills algae in small doses).

Hmmm... I guess I should stop using Excel on my alage-eating shrimp tank
then... ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Margolis 13-01-2005 08:23 PM

"Richard" wrote in message ...

Yeah, really.

You must have way more algae than it can handle then. If you write to

Greg,
CEO of Sea-Chem and ask him if it's safe to grow Cladophoa he'll tell
you no, it'll kill it. But US Government regulations prevent him from
claiming it's an algicide.

Of course seachem is going to say algae won't grow with it, they make the
product. I go by experience.

Algae grows better in my 20 with excel than it does in my 75 without. The
oto's and bushy nose plecos love it though, so that's okay.

Richard 14-01-2005 01:59 AM

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message ...

Yeah, really.

You must have way more algae than it can handle then. If you write to

Greg,
CEO of Sea-Chem and ask him if it's safe to grow Cladophoa he'll tell
you no, it'll kill it. But US Government regulations prevent him from
claiming it's an algicide.

Of course seachem is going to say algae won't grow with it, they make the
product. I go by experience.

Google says there's a lot of poeple that use it and have no algae.

Algae grows better in my 20 with excel than it does in my 75 without. The
oto's and bushy nose plecos love it though, so that's okay.

That's hardly evidenece. I have a buhc of tanks and some are an unholy
green mess and others are sparkling crystal clean. They all get the same
regiment. In other workds, without any controls, nothing has been shown
let alone proved.

Margolis 14-01-2005 06:05 AM

It proves that algae grows well with excel.

If a product is good for plants it is going to be good for algae which are
just small plants. If a product is bad for algae it is going to be bad for
plants. It is pretty simple really ;op

Richard 14-01-2005 07:15 AM

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
It proves that algae grows well with excel.

If a product is good for plants it is going to be good for algae which are
just small plants. If a product is bad for algae it is going to be bad for
plants. It is pretty simple really ;op

Both are factually incorrect.

One anectodal unctrolled setup does not prove the former and
peroxide disproves the latter.

js1 15-01-2005 04:52 AM

On 2005-01-13, Margolis wrote:

Algae grows better in my 20 with excel than it does in my 75 without. The
oto's and bushy nose plecos love it though, so that's okay.

Not defending Seachem, but you may have conditions better suited for
growing algae in your 20 than in your 75 that has nothing to do with
Excel.

js1 15-01-2005 04:59 AM

On 2005-01-14, Margolis wrote:
It proves that algae grows well with excel.

Whoa, you have to be a bit more scientific than that before you go
around claiming proof.

If a product is good for plants it is going to be good for algae which are
just small plants. If a product is bad for algae it is going to be bad for
plants. It is pretty simple really ;op

Technically, algae are not plants as they do not have leaves, roots, or
flowers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae

Margolis 15-01-2005 03:36 PM

"js1" wrote in message

Not defending Seachem, but you may have conditions better suited for
growing algae in your 20 than in your 75 that has nothing to do with
Excel.

that may be, but if excel is an algicide it should be killing the algae,
regardless of the conditions. Instead the algae is healthy.

Richard 15-01-2005 07:04 PM

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
"js1" wrote in message

Not defending Seachem, but you may have conditions better suited for
growing algae in your 20 than in your 75 that has nothing to do with
Excel.

that may be, but if excel is an algicide it should be killing the algae,
regardless of the conditions. Instead the algae is healthy.

Absolutley not.

Excel is not called an algicide because it hasn't passed government
tests and qualificartion as an algicide. None the less in years
of beta tests at Sea CHem they found it inhibits alage grown and
your one tank does not change that fact.

Aquarium Pharmecuticals "Algae Fix" is a government recognized honest
to god real algicide and won't kill some alage under some conditions
either.

Making a blanket statement from a sample of one is unsound.

js1 15-01-2005 08:36 PM

On 2005-01-15, Richard wrote:

Making a blanket statement from a sample of one is unsound.

Nah, it's called usenet! ;-)

Margolis 16-01-2005 01:02 PM

On 2005-01-14, Margolis wrote:

Technically, algae are not plants as they do not have leaves, roots, or
flowers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae

did you go to that site you linked to? It say's algae are plants

here is the opening sentence on that page:

"The algae (singular is alga) comprise several different groups of living
things that produce energy through photosynthesis. They are generally
regarded as simple plants, and some are related to the higher plants "

Margolis 16-01-2005 01:03 PM

"Richard" wrote in message ...
that may be, but if excel is an algicide it should be killing the algae,

Absolutley not.

absolutely yes. algicides kill algae, that is the definition of algicide.

do you work for seachem? Me saying it doesn't kill algae certainly has
gotten you worked up.

Richard 16-01-2005 05:08 PM

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message ...
that may be, but if excel is an algicide it should be killing the algae,

Absolutley not.

absolutely yes. algicides kill algae, that is the definition of algicide.

do you work for seachem? Me saying it doesn't kill algae certainly has
gotten you worked up.

Work?

Well, I don't care about your one tank. The rest of the world, as a quick
check on google will show, has results consistant with Sea Chem's claims.

js1 16-01-2005 05:09 PM

On 2005-01-16, Margolis wrote:
"js1" wrote in message

here is the opening sentence on that page:

"The algae (singular is alga) comprise several different groups of living
things that produce energy through photosynthesis. They are generally
regarded as simple plants, and some are related to the higher plants "

You must have missed the part where it says, "All algae lack true
leaves, roots, flowers, and other tissue structures found in higher
plants."

Margolis 17-01-2005 01:04 PM

"js1" wrote in message

You must have missed the part where it says, "All algae lack true
leaves, roots, flowers, and other tissue structures found in higher
plants."

they may lack those, but they are still simple plants. They lack the
structure of HIGHER plants, but that doesn't mean that they are not plants

Margolis 17-01-2005 01:15 PM

Your world must be very small. The only references I found about excel
being an algicide (algaecide) on google were posts you made. Nothing else.
No research by seachem anywhere indicating this is an algaecide. There is
no government regulation preventing seachem from calling an algicide and
algicide. There are regulations though that prevent companies from making
false claims.

js1 17-01-2005 04:30 PM

On 2005-01-17, Margolis wrote:
Your world must be very small. The only references I found about excel
being an algicide (algaecide) on google were posts you made. Nothing else.
No research by seachem anywhere indicating this is an algaecide. There is
no government regulation preventing seachem from calling an algicide and
algicide. There are regulations though that prevent companies from making
false claims.

You're the only person who has claimed anything absolutely.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html

Can algae feed on Excel?

No. I'm sure this may raise a few eyebrows ;-) since at face value
this would be a reasonable expectation. But, for reasons Uncle Sam
won't let us discuss, all I can say is that algae can't feed on Excel
and I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to deduce why this
is the case (big picture folks, no chemistry involved ;-).

Gregory Morin, Ph.D. ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM

Notice no claims of algicide by Seachem. Though, from the above
comments, it's not unreasonable to infer that perhaps Excel is at
some level an algicide, but Seachem is not willing, or not allowed, to
make sucha a claim. You are the one who, on anectdotal evidence,
claims absolutely that Excel is not an algicide and is in fact good to
grow algae with. Excel's primary claim has been that it can be a source
of carbon for plants:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html

Does Excel's added carbon work enough to provide plants what they

need without the need of CO2 injection?
That depends on your definition of need ;-) We have been using the
product here for several years (during the testing phase) and all of
our planted tanks have been doing extraordinarily well. We do not use
any CO2 injection. We usually have to cut and trim every few weeks or
so. However, if your goal is to have the kind of growth where you
would need to cut and trim weekly (because the plants grow out of the
tank every week) then you're not going to see that with Flourish
Excel as the sole carbon source. But using Flourish Excel as the sole
source of carbon is certainly not going to leave the plants lacking
for carbon by any stretch.

Perhaps if you had given the water parameters of the tank in which algae
is growing well for you, there'd be a more interesting argument about
algae growth and how Excel may or may not be affecting it, not about your
flawed syllogism.

Margolis 17-01-2005 06:15 PM

"js1" wrote in message

[...]

all that says is that "algae can't feed on it". It is a far leap to say
that means that it kills algae or that it is an algicide.

and on top of that, it sounds like complete and utter marketing bs anyway.
Why would the government prevent them from even talking about why they
thought algae couldn't use this as food? If it is valid scientifically it
would be permissable.

Richard 17-01-2005 06:29 PM

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
Notice no claims of algicide by Seachem. Though, from the above
comments, it's not unreasonable to infer that perhaps Excel is at
some level an algicide, but Seachem is not willing, or not allowed, to
make sucha a claim. You are the one who, on anectdotal evidence,
claims absolutely that Excel is not an algicide and is in fact good to
grow algae with.

all that says is that "algae can't feed on it". It is a far leap to say
that means that it kills algae or that it is an algicide.

Snippets of email from Dr. Greg Morin, CEO of SeaChem:

There are products which claim to kill algae but I didn't know they
might have to meet any EPA qualifications.

Yes, they do. They _should_ have an EPA registration # on them. If not,
they are "illegal" products if they are also claiming to kill algae.
Remember, it is only the claim that counts as far as EPA is concerned.

I can't endorse or discuss your product in any event but it certainly
has me puzzled now. If there were a product that really was effective
for algae but didn't harm plants or invertebrates, I would certainly be
interested in it if there were a scientific study of some sort. AFAIK
SeaChem has a very high reputation.

We would need to do that for EPA registration to make that claim, but
the costs of doing that and the registration/application process far
outweigh whatever we would hope to make off such a product. The
government sets the financial burden so high it is just not worth it ...

I *think* a scientific study of a specific chemical compound could
investigate certain effects upon various organisms without contravening
any product marketing regulations, however I am not an expert on these
matters. Further, we could discuss those findings on public forums
couldn't we? A product containing that compound could then reference

the
study or people could endorse the product citing the study... I am very
puzzled!

A 3rd party would have to do such a study and even then we could not
disclose any findings showing algacidal activity... the 3rd party
could and others could discuss it... but we could not ... yes it is
crazy but that's how it is unfortunately. We could do it but since we
could not disclose anything it kind of defeats the purpose of doing
it.

-Greg
--

Gregory Morin, Ph.D. ~~~~~~~President/CEO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM

Later that same day:

I realize there are governmetn regulations concerning what you
can and cannot say about stuff.

I maintain a culture of cladophora algae ("moss rocks"). It
would be good to know if Flourish Excel is harmfull to
them at regualr ot higher dosage. Ie, a warning would be handy.

To answer your question, algae will not fare too well when Flourish
Excel is dosed as recommended. Yes, a warning is probably a good idea.
It had not been thought of to date as typically algae is not desired in
a planted aquarium.

-Greg Morin

--

Gregory Morin, Ph.D. ~~~~~~~President/CEO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc. www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM

So is Excel an algicide? Certainly not. Have people found
it inhibis algae growth? Most have.

Have you tried seevral large water changes? How often do you change
water in this problem tank?

Victor Martinez 17-01-2005 07:09 PM

Richard wrote:
A 3rd party would have to do such a study and even then we could not
disclose any findings showing algacidal activity... the 3rd party
could and others could discuss it... but we could not ... yes it is

Sounds like an interesting research project for a grad student in
chemistry/biology/biochemistry... I'd be willing to co-supervise the
research if anybody is interested. :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

John Thomas 18-01-2005 12:07 AM

To answer the original question...

Most environments have one 'rate limiting' nutrient- that is, the lack
of one nutrient constrains growth much more so than others. In marine
environments, it is often iron, in freshwater lakes, it is often phosphorus.

For example, in the case of your body, it's iron, which your body goes
to great lengths to tie up and make unavailable and pathogens go to
great lengths to get at. (Often by blowing up red blood cells and
grabbing the iron in the hemoglobin)

Tony Volk 18-01-2005 06:45 PM

How about a better source (encyclopedias are great for primary school
projects)-

http://www.sidwell.edu/us/science/vl...arya/Protista/
http://www.sidwell.edu/us/science/vl...karya/Plantae/
http://clab.cecil.cc.md.us/faculty/biology1/plants.htm
http://www.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=17

Bottom line about algae being plants - it depends. On the algae, and on
who/when is classifying them.

Tony

John Thomas 18-01-2005 08:33 PM

All plants are Eukaryota. Algae are a kind of plant. All algae are
eukaryota. Algae are distinguished from other plants by their lack of
cellular differentiation.

All algae have chloroplasts. All plants have chloroplasts, which are
captured bacterial symbionts. The capture event is over a billion years
back, if rRNA is any good as a molecular clock. (So far, so good, at
least) Unlike most other organelles in plant cells, chloroplasts have
their own DNA and control their own division and replication apart from
their host.

Unfortunately, some people off handedly call cyanobacteria, green
sulfur, green non-sulfur, purple non-sulfur, and purple sulfur
photosynthetic bacteria algae when they're not- they're Prokayota,
commonly refered to as bacteria.

Further reading on the web:
Explanation of celluar differentiation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_differentiation
Lynn Margulis' endosymbiont theory:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/93/3/1071
The Tree of Life:
http://tolweb.org/tree/phylogeny.html
The Ribosomal Batabase Project
http://rdp.cme.msu.edu/index.jsp

[email protected] 19-01-2005 02:47 AM

BBA= poor CO2 issues.
Nothing to do with reduction, 90%(or higher) of the time: folks need to
add more CO2, PO4, not less.
Things you do not want to add: too many fish, fish food, NH4, not clean
filters, general neglect, lack of prunign, etc.

Keep in mind that Excel adds carbon as well.
Adding CO2 properly could be considered a mild algicide as well:-)
Regards,
Tom Barr

[email protected] 19-01-2005 03:00 AM

Green algae are still considered in Plantae, Charophyceans/Coleocheteae
are very plant like and have differentiated cells, in many ways so do
Caulperales, kelps etc, they went a different pathway but are extremely
successful and very plant like.

Byrophytes are an odd group as well.

BGA, Cyanophyta/Cyanobacteria (whatever you prefer to call them,
Cyanobacteria works well) are very unlike ANY other group of bacteria,
so much so I'd consider them almost in their own group, they possess
thyalkloids, but not chloroplast. Most folks that do the work on this
group are phycologist, not microbiologist, most of us retain the term
BGA as a common name. Zoo folks call Divisions, phylums and plant folks
call phylums Divisions, depending on what side of the fence you are on.

I did like that you referred to algae as "a type of plant".
Regards,
Tom Barr

Kay 20-01-2005 03:54 AM

On 2005-01-11, blank wrote:

eg., java fern, java moss, elodea, amazon swords etc etc. Each week I do a
50% water change and add the following Seachem products: 35ml Excel, 3ml
Supplement, 4ml Nitrogen, 4ml Phosphorous, 10ml Potassium, 7ml Iron.
Filtration is an Eheim Pro II 2028.

If you do a search, you'll find interviews and articles from Seachem
reps who basically say that a tank stocked with fish should produce
enough nitrates and phosphates to feed the plants in a tank. Seems like
you only need nitrogen and phosphorus if you have little to no fauna.
I add Flourish, Excel, and potassium. My algae has come under control
even with it sitting next to a window.

I use Florish, Excel and Potassium and I have no algae either, been
using it for years, especially the Excel.

Kay

Kay 20-01-2005 03:57 AM

Richard wrote:
In article ,
Margolis wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message ...

Keep in mind Excel is an algicide.

Not really. In fact, algae grows quite well with excel, it seems to like
it.

Yeah, really.

You must have way more algae than it can handle then. If you write to Greg,
CEO of Sea-Chem and ask him if it's safe to grow Cladophoa he'll tell
you no, it'll kill it. But US Government regulations prevent him from
claiming it's an algicide.

It may not be a great algicide but the acetyl compound in it that releases
carbon is death on algae. (Even acetic acid kills algae in small doses).

Richard,
I have been using Excel for years for my plants and for algae control,
ever since I have used it, I have never had any algae in my tanks. My
plants grow nicely and I don't have to worry about algae.

Kay