Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
spiral_72

Default light color

Yup, this topic again.... real quick.
I just bought a 5100K tube, GE T8 32W and a T8 32W 3500K. The 5100K is
a very slight blue-white-ok the 3500K is a slight pink. HUH!? I thought
it would be yellow, y'know, warm temps mimic incandescent lighting? The
40W T12 4100K's I have are yellow-ish.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Bill Stock

"spiral_72" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yup, this topic again.... real quick.
I just bought a 5100K tube, GE T8 32W and a T8 32W 3500K. The 5100K is
a very slight blue-white-ok the 3500K is a slight pink. HUH!? I thought
it would be yellow, y'know, warm temps mimic incandescent lighting? The
40W T12 4100K's I have are yellow-ish.

Strange, orangey maybe, but pink! Perhaps the bulb is toast.

http://www.cox-internet.com/ast305/color.html

Old 09-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Cichlidiot

spiral_72 wrote:
Yup, this topic again.... real quick.
I just bought a 5100K tube, GE T8 32W and a T8 32W 3500K. The 5100K is
a very slight blue-white-ok the 3500K is a slight pink. HUH!? I thought
it would be yellow, y'know, warm temps mimic incandescent lighting? The
40W T12 4100K's I have are yellow-ish.

Welcome to the fun fun world of lighting... where the Kelvin rating really
is only a minor indication as to the color and effectiveness of the lights
when it comes to plants. More helpful are the CRI (color rendering index)
and spectral analysis, particularly the CRI if you care about the look of
the bulb. Since these are GE bulbs, you might be able to find this
information if you go to GE's lighting website and dig around a bit.
You'll need to know the part numbers and/or the model name for this to
work as they do produce a wide variety of bulbs.