Old 21-03-2005, 01:35 AM
R. Santink

Default Odd Anacharis behaviour...

Behaviour you ask? Yes! I have a 125g planted tank, at the moment
stocked with about 27 Vals (max 5") and 42 Anacharis (max 17").

Here's what I've been observing... my Anacharis go through a cycle
(haven't yet determined the period) wherein they grow perfectly
straight, and then bend their tops to form a candy-cane shape. It is
INDEPENDENT of the light cycle. I've even left them on for 36h and the
effect is the same. (?) It doesn't seem to concide with some timeframe
after their feeding either.

I fertilize with chelated-iron, Fourish Excel (1/3 dosage only),
potassium permanganate (yes!), and I've also got 2 "Plant-GRO sticks
buried in the plant patches. Their analysis is 16-9-12

I also inject CO2 generously using the Carbo-plus electrolysis unit.
They can grow almost an inch a day.

Any ideas? Anyone else observe this with Anacharis, or any plant for
that matter?

Richard

Old 23-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Richard Sexton

Here's what I've been observing... my Anacharis go through a cycle
(haven't yet determined the period) wherein they grow perfectly
straight, and then bend their tops to form a candy-cane shape. It is
INDEPENDENT of the light cycle. I've even left them on for 36h and the
effect is the same. (?) It doesn't seem to concide with some timeframe
after their feeding either.

I fertilize with chelated-iron, Fourish Excel (1/3 dosage only),
potassium permanganate (yes!), and I've also got 2 "Plant-GRO sticks
buried in the plant patches. Their analysis is 16-9-12

I also inject CO2 generously using the Carbo-plus electrolysis unit.
They can grow almost an inch a day.

Any ideas? Anyone else observe this with Anacharis, or any plant for
that matter?

Well, when my Elodea go to sleep they all "nod off", but straighten up
in the morning. I have a couple of stems in my 75g aquarium that seem to
form a shepherd's crook when they have reached a certain height. Maybe
it's a reaction to brighter light? Or ambient light that comes in
perpendicular?

I notice it with crypts especially x willissii "lucens"; it means they're
out of nutrients, probably nitrate - adding nitrate and phosphate
cures it here.
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 23-03-2005, 07:06 PM
R. Santink

I notice it with crypts especially x willissii "lucens"; it means they're
out of nutrients, probably nitrate - adding nitrate and phosphate
cures it here.

If so, why do they go through this cycle every day? They certainly are
growing quite well. Over the next few days, I'm documenting their
behaviour and will post it here.

RAS

Old 24-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Perhaps its temperature related.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

"R. Santink" wrote in message

I notice it with crypts especially x willissii "lucens"; it means

they're
out of nutrients, probably nitrate - adding nitrate and phosphate
cures it here.

If so, why do they go through this cycle every day? They certainly are
growing quite well. Over the next few days, I'm documenting their
behaviour and will post it here.

RAS

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old 24-03-2005, 01:42 PM
R. Santink

Hmmm... never thought of that... well, lemme see! I'll start recording
the temperature trends too..

RAS

Old 31-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Nikki Casali

R. Santink wrote:

[...]

Now looking back at this message again. This is such a coincidence. I
just realised you're the poster who solved my "Anacharis Melt" problem.
The same issue must apply to you. You're dosing with Excel. That could
be causing the Anacharis to curve?

Nikki

Old 31-03-2005, 03:07 AM
R. Santink

Now looking back at this message again. This is such a coincidence. I
just realised you're the poster who solved my "Anacharis Melt" problem.
The same issue must apply to you. You're dosing with Excel. That could
be causing the Anacharis to curve?

Nikki

Nah... I stopped using Excel, until my Anacharis recovered. This
behaviour was going one during Excel and before also. I had reduced the
dosage to 1/3 -1/4 which, according to Seachem is about half of what the
Anacharis should be able to handle.

BTW, as an update to my odd behaviour post, I've ruled out the following:

-photo period
-time-of-day
-CO2 levels

I'm becoming convinced that this behaviour precedes a growth spurt.
When I get my holidays I'll have more time to monitor it closer..

RAS

Odd Anacharis behaviour... Nikki Casali Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 22-03-2005 01:47 PM
plant behaviour Bogdan H Plant Science 1 02-07-2003 01:56 AM
plant behaviour Bogdan H Plant Science 0 01-07-2003 09:20 PM
Normal behaviour for newts ? James Cook Ponds 1 16-06-2003 10:20 PM
Odd Koi Behaviour? sandra Ponds 0 08-05-2003 03:08 AM