Old 30-03-2005, 06:29 PM
spiral_72

Default Discolored Ambulia?

I bought a beautiful large leaf Ambulia plant 16 days ago. Since then
the majority of the plant has turned a green/brown color while the
newest leaves and the tips of the old leaves remain a bright green. I
read these symptoms are either too little iron or too many phosphates
in the water. I don't have an iron test but all other plants are
thriving at the moment.

Ambulia is supposed to be a fast growing plant (right?) so I am
concerned this is an indication that will soon show in the rest of my
plants.

Any opinions?

55g-FW, 12 tropical fish, Asst Sword plants, Java fern, Ambulia
lights: 1)32W 5100K 1)32W 3500K 2)40W cool white tubes
substrate: soil (red clay) and sand with a layer of gravel
water parameters:~77F, 7.1pH, 7dKH(125ppm), 7dGH(125ppm)
0 ammonia, 5 nitrates, 0.75 phosphates

my aquarium page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Old 31-03-2005, 10:40 PM
spiral_72

Everyone on vacation?

Old 02-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Elaine T

spiral_72 wrote:
[...]

I have a few ideas. Ambulia is not known as an easy plant. It's fast
growing IF you can get it growing.

First - transplant shock. I've found that a lot of plants drop old
leaves and regrow when I first put them in my tank. Even really easy
plants like Rotala indica have done this to me. Cryptocorynes are
notorious for it, and newly purchased Cambomba always drops a bunch of
leaves. If this is the case, let a couple of inches of new growth come
in, cut that healthy tip off, and plant it. The plants should be fine
from then on.

Second - Ambulia likes CO2 and you don't mention whether you're running
any at the moment. I think you said DIY in an earlier post, though.

Third - it doesn't "like" your tank. I've fertilized and water changed
the same in my tanks and had some plants grow well in one tank and not
in the other.

But give it a chance because I bet it's just a transplant issue, and not
any major deficiency if everything else looks fine.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
spiral_72

You may be right Elaine. Some color has returned and I think it has
grown a bit. I don't have the experience to know what symptoms are
critical.

Thanks, for the reply.