Old 25-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Troy Bruder

Default Discolored water

Hello,

I have a very heavily planted 29 gallon tank, with plenty of small fish..
Shortly after significant water changes (12-16 gallons), the water becomes
yellowish... I stopped using carbon in my filter since I thought it may be
removing too many nutrients from the water.. How do others feel about
carbon in the filtration?

Thanks,
Troy

Old 25-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Dunter Powries

Troy Bruder wrote in message
Hello,

I have a very heavily planted 29 gallon tank, with plenty of small fish..
Shortly after significant water changes (12-16 gallons), the water becomes
yellowish... I stopped using carbon in my filter since I thought it may

be
removing too many nutrients from the water.. How do others feel about
carbon in the filtration?

The yellowish is probably a bacteria bloom due to the sudden influx of new
nutrients when you add new water, although it could conceivably be an
outgassing thing depending on how long you let your change-water sit and how
quickly it clears up.

As for the carbon, there's no compelling need for it in a heavily planted
tank. The plants will filter most impurities more efficiently than carbon,
and regular water changes will control the rest. Save your money.