Old 14-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Kent

Default Lighting????

Hi All,
Thank you in advance. Hopefully this is an easy question. What is the
most important part of lighting a tank? Is it watts, color, lumes...
The reason I ask is I have a flat back hex 55 gallon tank. I don't
think my plants are getting enough light. I have 2 40 watt bulbs on it
now. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Kent

Old 14-04-2005, 05:45 PM
dfreas

Lumens are the most important - but as long as you stick to fluorescent
lighting you can just think of this as watts since the wattage of a
bulb is usually easier to find. And yes, your tank probably could use
some more light.

There are two solutions for you to get healthy growing plants in your
situation. The cheapest is to change your plants. Anubias and java fern
will both do fine in 1.45 watts per gallon as will several other low
light plants. The other solution is to get your lighting up to between
2 and 4 watts per gallon. Ways of doing this are to either replace your
lighting completely with something in the 120 - 200 watt range or to
just add a second fixture if the top of your tank has room for it.

-Daniel

Old 14-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Nick Wise

If you choose to upgrade your lighting and are willing to try anything,
I would suggest you suspend a MH pendant above the tank. One 175 watt
would do nicely and they go especially well with hex tanks IMO. MH
lights seem to penetrate deeper tanks better too.

Old 15-04-2005, 03:07 AM
js1

Hi All,

http://www.aquariaplants.com/lighting.htm
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Tech/

Old 15-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Dick

On 14 Apr 2005 09:45:56 -0700, "dfreas" wrote:

Lumens are the most important - but as long as you stick to fluorescent
lighting you can just think of this as watts since the wattage of a
bulb is usually easier to find. And yes, your tank probably could use
some more light.

There are two solutions for you to get healthy growing plants in your
situation. The cheapest is to change your plants. Anubias and java fern
will both do fine in 1.45 watts per gallon as will several other low
light plants. The other solution is to get your lighting up to between
2 and 4 watts per gallon. Ways of doing this are to either replace your
lighting completely with something in the 120 - 200 watt range or to
just add a second fixture if the top of your tank has room for it.

-Daniel

I have 5 tanks, 10gal, 29gal & 75gal, all the lighting for these tanks
is less than 1.5watts per gallon. After losing my planting in my
first tank (75gal), I learned about "Low light plants." One vendor
sold assorted plants just for low light conditions. I bought a large
collection (via internet, no LFS) and couldn't be happier (2 years
later). One advantage to low light plants, no need to worry about
aging flourescents, so long as the light up they are adequate.

dick

Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
"Artifical" lighting -- Any successes? Jo Edible Gardening 16 08-02-2003 05:31 AM
Indoor Lighting-System news Orchids 12 06-02-2003 04:43 AM
Old Ponders ... Full Spectrum Lighting D K Ponds 11 30-01-2003 10:39 PM
Agro Lighting, good?? Maurizio Leo Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 05:33 PM