Old 15-04-2005, 02:56 PM
puneet

Default Trace Element Mix

Hi,
I am new to planted aquariums, and would like to make PMDD(fertilizer)
for my water gardern. I understand that we need to add some compounds
to the water which include Potassium Nitrate and a Chealated Trace
Element Mix. I understand what is pot Nitrate, but then what is this
trace element mix. I don;t understand it beyond that it contains Fe,
Mn, Mg etc in very small proportions.
Is this mix readily available? Can this be done by mixing some
compounds after buying them from a chemical shop?
If yes, what proportions and quantities I should buy them
Thanks in advance
Puneit

Old 15-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Rocco Moretti

George Pontis wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Hi,
I am new to planted aquariums, and would like to make PMDD(fertilizer)
for my water gardern. I understand that we need to add some compounds
to the water which include Potassium Nitrate and a Chealated Trace
Element Mix. I understand what is pot Nitrate, but then what is this
trace element mix. I don;t understand it beyond that it contains Fe,
Mn, Mg etc in very small proportions.
Is this mix readily available? Can this be done by mixing some
compounds after buying them from a chemical shop?
If yes, what proportions and quantities I should buy them

You can buy just the trace mix, or PMDD complete from Greg Watson. In keeping with
the concept, his prices are very reasonable.

http://www.gregwatson.com/

Alternatively, you may be able to find trace elements and other
fertilizer components at a local hydroponics store or garden center. Be
sure to read the label to know if the product contains macronutrients
(N-P-K), especially ammonia/ammonium and urea.

BTW, Potassium Nitrate may be hard to find in some areas, as it could
theoretically be used to make a "fertilizer and fuel oil" type
explosives, (and not being clear about your motives when asking for it
may get you on the local watch list) but you might be able to find it as
"stump remover." About $6 got me a ~1 lb bottle at Walmart that should
last some time. Again, I read the label and contacted the company to
make sure it was 100% KNO3 before using. (Didn't want to accidentally
add herbicide to my tank.)

That said, it may indeed be easier to buy from a source selling to
aquarists (e.g Greg) - you'll be reasonable confident what you get will
work well for you, and it may be cheaper.