Old 16-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Nikki Casali

Default Holey Cryptocorynes

All my Cryptocorynes seem to have perfect holes in their leaves:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/Plant...oryneHoles.jpg

It seems like it's getting worse recently. I dosed with nitrate
experimentally for the first time, so I don't know if that is a
coincidence. The amount of fish food I give seems to maintain a nitrate
level of around 12 mg/L even with the tank completely planted. This must
be its equilibrium level.

Could it be snails?

Nikki

Old 16-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Sandy Birrell

Nikki Casali wrote:
All my Cryptocorynes seem to have perfect holes in their leaves:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/Plant...oryneHoles.jpg

It seems like it's getting worse recently. I dosed with nitrate
experimentally for the first time, so I don't know if that is a
coincidence. The amount of fish food I give seems to maintain a nitrate
level of around 12 mg/L even with the tank completely planted. This must
be its equilibrium level.

Could it be snails?

Nikki

Short answer is yes, assuming you have some It also could be one of your
fish taking chunks out of the leaves. My tank is full of Crypts. and they
have no holes in the leaves, and I have never used any fertiliser in the
tank. Very few snails too.

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy
Sandy

Old 18-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Bill

Nikki Casali Spaketh Thusly:

All my Cryptocorynes seem to have perfect holes in their leaves:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/Plant...oryneHoles.jpg

It seems like it's getting worse recently. I dosed with nitrate
experimentally for the first time, so I don't know if that is a
coincidence. The amount of fish food I give seems to maintain a nitrate
level of around 12 mg/L even with the tank completely planted. This must
be its equilibrium level.

Do they start as pinholes and grow? If so, it may be a potassium deficiency -
I had this problem once, easily fixed with Green Light stump remover.

If not, I would guess they're being eaten.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net