Old 25-05-2005, 01:15 PM
das

Default will plants floating at the top of my tank die?

the roots are exposed but they are closer to the light. right now i
have a normal 55 gal fluorescent light and two extra 10 gal
fluorescent lights, so the tanks covered.

i only ask because a few of my favorite plants got up rooted from a
newly installed powerhead, and my fish seem to enjoy them better
there.

thanks
Old 25-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Aidan Grey

On Wed, 25 May 2005 05:15:23 -0700, das wrote:

the roots are exposed but they are closer to the light. right now i
have a normal 55 gal fluorescent light and two extra 10 gal
fluorescent lights, so the tanks covered.

i only ask because a few of my favorite plants got up rooted from a
newly installed powerhead, and my fish seem to enjoy them better
there.

thanks

Most plants will probably be OK at the water surface as long as they
get enough light. Some, like water sprite, will actually do better floating
than rooted.

Aidan Grey

Old 26-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Daniel Morrow

"das" gh wrote in message
cool thanks

im not too sure what type of plant im dealing with, but its perfect
for the top. it has too long arms with bunches of leaves and what
looks like roots coming out of it, and it stretches across both ends
of my 55 gal tank. seeing that its actually the closest to lights i
think it should get enough. hopefully it lives, my tiger barbs really
love it.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:16:23 -0400 (EDT), "Aidan Grey"
wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 05:15:23 -0700, das wrote:

the roots are exposed but they are closer to the light. right now i
have a normal 55 gal fluorescent light and two extra 10 gal
fluorescent lights, so the tanks covered.

i only ask because a few of my favorite plants got up rooted from a
newly installed powerhead, and my fish seem to enjoy them better
there.

thanks

Most plants will probably be OK at the water surface as long as they
get enough light. Some, like water sprite, will actually do better

floating
than rooted.

Aidan Grey

I like to leave my java ferns floating. As I understand it - java ferns
float in their natural habitat until they can grab onto a rock with their
roots then root. My java ferns like being close to the light too so they
grow faster. HTH

Old 27-05-2005, 09:23 AM
das

yeah those are nice, i never bought plants online yet, so far are just
my local pet store but they seem to have an ok variety.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:14:16 -0700, "Daniel Morrow"
wrote:

.. .