Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-05-2005, 01:27 PM
spiral_72

Default Green water help.

According to what I have read, GW is little more than a "phase" the
aquarium goes through if things get slighly off balance. To my
understanding the green cloud almost cures itself. That didn't happen
and I have been waiting for about 60 days.

* Blackout & WC was suggested for others... it didn't help at all.
* I cut nutrient supply to about 1/2 (food, fert, and light)
* 20% WC every week and a 50% WC. WC's made the cloud less dense for
about 3 days.
* I rigged a fine-filtration system.... WOW! but the GW replaced any I
filtered in about 24-48 hours.
* I rigged up a UV sterilizer with an EEPROM eraser. It helped but not
much. Maybe the light was not potent enough.

Water parameters in my 55g, planted freshwater tank have been:
4dKH(dosed with baking soda)
0 Amm
7.2-7.3pH(dosed CO2)
0.25PO4
2-5ppm nitrates(dosed with potassium nitrate)

......until this week when my PO4 jumped from near zero to 5+. I found
my tap(well) water to be the cause of this. It's 5+ right out of the
ground! I don't know what happened. I wonder if it's fertilizers from
ground run-off in my water supply?? Is this even possible? My plants
are growing at exponential rates!
I am tired of not seeing my fish or my plants. What's the next step,
use only distilled water for WC?? That stinks!

Thanks for any help:

My website, aquarium info and pics at:
http://www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html