Old 08-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Nikki Casali

Default Hydrocotyle Salad

I've kept Hydrocotyle in my two planted tank with no problem for ages.
Suddenly, out of the blue, they're being shredded and, one by one, the
leaves are being eaten away to nothing. This has all happened
simultaneously in both tanks. The common fish are Ancistrus and SAEs. In
one tank an Amano shrimp was finishing off the remains of one leaf.

Why the fish have gained an appetite for this type of plant in both
tanks is interesting. Something I'm doing, or not doing, has triggered
them off. I presume sticking in a piece of lettuce a bit more often will
cure the problem. But maybe they like the taste of Hydrocotyle too much now!

Also, I've cracked the problem of algae completely in my 110L tank. And
I'm getting closer in my larger 330L. It's amazing seeing leaves free
from the stuff.

Nikki