Old 16-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Bill Stock

Default How many bubbles in a PPPM? :)

I finally got my regulator and fire extinguisher (CO2 tank). But I'm not
sure what bubble count to shoot for? I gather 3 bubbles per second is a good
start. My reactor (Hagen) is quite inefficient at the moment, so I'll need
to use more CO2 until I can replace it.

I also noticed that it's difficult to get good flow control from the needle
(JBJ combo) valve. It sort of an all or nothing deal. What working pressure
should I use? I having trouble getting less than 50 PSI.

Old 16-06-2005, 03:23 AM
djay

How many stage regulator do you have? My two stage shows the tank pressure
and the line pressure. Your regulator should have an Increase and a
Decrease knob. Sounds like you need to DECREASE! My line pressure is
between 5 and 10 PSI. My needle valve is a cheapo from HD and my DIY bubble
counter reads 60 bubbles per min or 1 bb per sec. That keeps the 75 gal
right at 6.8 PH and the plants are VERY happy. My 10 LB tank last about 14
months.

HTH

DJay

Old 16-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Bill Stock

"djay" wrote in message
How many stage regulator do you have? My two stage shows the tank
pressure and the line pressure. Your regulator should have an Increase
and a Decrease knob. Sounds like you need to DECREASE! My line pressure
is between 5 and 10 PSI. My needle valve is a cheapo from HD and my DIY
bubble counter reads 60 bubbles per min or 1 bb per sec. That keeps the
75 gal right at 6.8 PH and the plants are VERY happy. My 10 LB tank last
about 14 months.

HTH

DJay

Thanks, perhaps I'm not reading it correctly. I discovered the regulator I
have is not adjustable (fixed pressure).

I went for the honking 20# tank, cherry red at that. I'll have to stick it
in a closet. I suspect it will do me a while, but I'm a cheap *******. The
5# tanks were $65 CDN and the 20# tanks were $85 CDN, so I went for the
large one.

I'm currently bubbling at roughly 1 bps and the PH has dropped from 8.4ish
to 8 over a 3 hour period. I'm shooting for 7ish. Still undecided about
turning it off at night.

Old 16-06-2005, 04:33 AM
djay

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I finally got my regulator and fire extinguisher (CO2 tank). But I'm not
sure what bubble count to shoot for? I gather 3 bubbles per second is a
good start. My reactor (Hagen) is quite inefficient at the moment, so
I'll need to use more CO2 until I can replace it.

I also noticed that it's difficult to get good flow control from the
needle (JBJ combo) valve. It sort of an all or nothing deal. What
working pressure should I use? I having trouble getting less than 50
PSI.

Sorry for top posting that last one... a bad habit of mine!

You should not need to turn off your CO2 at night. I do not and have not
for 5 years and the pH swing is not greater than .2 between a.m. (just
before lights on) and p.m. (just before lights off). You've got the
essentials, the rest is just maintenance... watching the tank for changes,
good and regular water changes, the right ferts for your plants, filter
cleaning and regular plant trimming. Enjoy!