Old 27-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Dave@aquaflora

Default can increase in water temperature affect algae growth?

I have been wondering why my tank, after a good year of no algae has started
growing some again. I believe this has occurred right after I added a school
of clown loaches and increased my aquarium temperature from 77 to about 82.
Does warmer temperatures add more favourable conditions for algae
proliferation?

Thanks.

Old 27-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Happy'Cam'per

warmer water holds less gas, which means less co2 which means more algae,
pump up your co2 a bit.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 29-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Dave@aquaflora

I actually never thought of that, but my CO2 measures 27ppm right
now...which hasn't changed.

Old 30-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Dave@aquaflora

Well I'll give you all the specs, but, like I say---I have not strayed from
my routine for over a year and have had no algae whatsoever and lush growth.
The only thing that has changed is adding 3 clown loaches and increasing the
temp from 77 to 82.

SPECS

15 gallon wide
4wpg (I know a little too high but having only 2 bulbs would mean 2.6wpg and
I wanted over 3)
25-27ppm constant CO2

DOSING (As prescribed by Tom Barr)

1/8 teaspoon KNO3 & a couple grains of KH2PO4 every other day
3/4 teaspoon of traces (TMG) on the off days where macros aren't added
Weekly 50% water changes to removed excess nutrients

I stopped testing for nitrates, iron etc. because the multiple test kits I
used gave all very different results from opposite ends of the spectrum.
After following these procedures I judged how good the plants were doing and
how little algae existed as it's own test.

Dave