Old 03-12-2006, 04:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Spider plant woes - better pix - 1 attachment

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec06cs.jpg (91.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-12-2006, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I really don't know what you are thinking? Other that a few dries leaves,
what is wrong? They all do that in the winter.

--

BetsyB

"Robert Salmon" wrote in message
. 11...

Old 03-12-2006, 08:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Robert Salmon wrote:

Cute pic of young spideys.

General rule for houseplants:

Let the dirt dry down to just barely moist below the surface between
watering.

Tapwater is OK, but you should let it stand a day or two in an open
container before using for watering. This allows the chlorine to gas out.

Every year or two, you should take the plant outside, and soak it
thoroughly to the point of water dripping out the bottom. This will
flush the accumulated salts out of the dirt.

There are a number of good books on houseplant care. Buy one at your
garden centre or bookstore, or borrow from your local library.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"betsyb" wrote in
:

I really don't know what you are thinking? Other that a few dries
leaves, what is wrong? They all do that in the winter.

I separated the plant from its "mother" two years ago. It doesn't grow.
I've tried +/- water, +/- light, a bit of fertilizer. Last summer it was
outside; now it's inside again.

Looking for suggestions.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Robert Salmon wrote:

"betsyb" wrote in
:

I really don't know what you are thinking? Other that a few dries
leaves, what is wrong? They all do that in the winter.

I separated the plant from its "mother" two years ago. It doesn't grow.
I've tried +/- water, +/- light, a bit of fertilizer. Last summer it was
outside; now it's inside again.

Looking for suggestions.

Might need some soil revision. More sand, less mulch.
What is the ratio of the fertilizer you are using?

I only ever water plants once the soil dries out a bit.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I really don't know what you are thinking? Other that a few dries
leaves, what is wrong? They all do that in the winter.

I separated the plant from its "mother" two years ago. It doesn't grow.
I've tried +/- water, +/- light, a bit of fertilizer. Last summer it was
outside; now it's inside again.

Looking for suggestions.

Mine have always suffered when I put them outside so I keep them in all
through the year.

I'm not blaming the plant or the weather but my skill :-)

Mary

Old 04-12-2006, 11:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In message , Robert
Salmon writes

I separated the plant from its "mother" two years ago. It doesn't grow.
I've tried +/- water, +/- light, a bit of fertilizer. Last summer it was
outside; now it's inside again.

Looking for suggestions.

It looks really soggy - water it less.

Salts from the water have accumulated in the compost, which is unsightly
but won't harm any common houseplant. You can avoid it by watering with
rainwater.
Repot your plant in fresh compost every 2-3 years. When growth starts
in spring is a good time, not when dormant. Proper houseplant compost
is best.

If it won't grow whatever you do, it doesn't like you: give it away and
grow something that does.

--
Sue ]
Old 05-12-2006, 12:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"MadCow" wrote in message

If it won't grow whatever you do, it doesn't like you: give it away and
grow something that does.

:-)

Mary

--
Sue ]

Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
s97 s97 is offline

"Robert Salmon" wrote in message
. 11...
"betsyb" wrote in
:

I really don't know what you are thinking? Other that a few dries
leaves, what is wrong? They all do that in the winter.

I separated the plant from its "mother" two years ago. It doesn't grow.
I've tried +/- water, +/- light, a bit of fertilizer. Last summer it was
outside; now it's inside again.

Are you sure it's not the variety? This doesn't look like your normal
Chlorophytum comosum vittatum, it looks more like a Chlorophytum mandaianum.
Anyway, I agree with betsyb, it looks healthy to me. Seems they need to be
cool, light, and not too watered in winter.

Here's some further information.

http://goto.glocalnet.net/natal/amp/ampel.htm

s97