Old 25-04-2007, 01:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Snowberry Clearwings

Has anyone here heard of the critter called a Snowberry Clearwing?
Here in Tennessee they show up in June and look like, I'm not kidding
now, the coloration of a bumblebee, the tail of a lobster, and the
hovering ability of a hummingbird. They are no larger than a bumble and
lve the Abelias that are in the front yard.
I'll post the few clear pictures I have of them if you want, it's hard
to get a good clear pic of them as you have to try to anticipate where
they are going to fly ( well maybe a really good digital camera might
not have that slight delay) rather than where they are when you snap.
Pat
Old 25-04-2007, 02:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Pat Royal expounded:

Has anyone here heard of the critter called a Snowberry Clearwing?
Here in Tennessee they show up in June and look like, I'm not kidding
now, the coloration of a bumblebee, the tail of a lobster, and the
hovering ability of a hummingbird. They are no larger than a bumble and
lve the Abelias that are in the front yard.
I'll post the few clear pictures I have of them if you want, it's hard
to get a good clear pic of them as you have to try to anticipate where
they are going to fly ( well maybe a really good digital camera might
not have that slight delay) rather than where they are when you snap.
Pat

This critter here?
http://www.birds-n-garden.com/snowbe...ird_moths.html
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 25-04-2007, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
Pat Royal expounded:

[...]

That's a wonderful site, Ann, and Pat's description is spot on!

Mary

Old 28-04-2007, 09:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Ours have more of the color black on them and really have a lobster
tail,well this means I'm going to have to search files to find the pics.
The caterpillar does look familiar though.
Pat

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message

Pat Royal expounded:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Snowberry [1/1] Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 12-02-2012 09:31 AM
Snowberry Clearwings Pat Royal Garden Photos 0 03-05-2007 01:29 AM
snowberry-help! Jack Gillespie United Kingdom 2 11-04-2003 08:08 PM