Old 24-09-2007, 03:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Sick Shumard Oak (0/1)

I planted a Shumard oak in my back yard last November. All was well
until a few months ago when some of its leaves began to brown at the
edges. Now, about half its leaves have browned and dropped and the
rest are browning and likely soon will drop. I'm in central Texas and
we've had an unusually rainy summer, but the yard drains well and we
haven't had heavy rains in the last few months. A few white mushrooms
have appeared at the edge of the mulch ring, but not at the tree's
base, so I've ruled out shoestring root rot. There hasn't been a
problem with wilt in the immediate area, and this doesn't look like
wilt, but I'm not an arborist and I could be wrong. I've attached
scans of an affected leaf. Anyone know or have a clue what the problem
might be? TIA for all replies.
--
Salix