Old 22-04-2008, 11:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
MES MES is offline

Default Pictures

Greetings,
I recently started to subscribe to this group.
I enjoy ALL the pictures posted because I do not have the time to spend in
the garden as I used to.
I appreciate the hours of nurturing & committment required to acheive whats
been photographed.
For anyone to tell someone else that what they photographed is not personal
is ridiculous.
Just because someone doesn't have borders, or the correct lighting or the
correct camera is missing the point.
The group is about pictures of what people have in their gardens period.
Just my rant on something that to me is really a NO ISSUE.
Enjoy your day.

Old 22-04-2008, 12:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:33:53 -0400, "MES"
wrote:

Greetings,
I recently started to subscribe to this group.
I enjoy ALL the pictures posted because I do not have the time to spend in
the garden as I used to.
I appreciate the hours of nurturing & committment required to acheive whats
been photographed.
For anyone to tell someone else that what they photographed is not personal
is ridiculous.
Just because someone doesn't have borders, or the correct lighting or the
correct camera is missing the point.
The group is about pictures of what people have in their gardens period.
Just my rant on something that to me is really a NO ISSUE.
Enjoy your day.

Words are useful to let someone know what is in their garden. I think
that what most here are doing is trying to capture the beauty in the
wonderful gardens that are everywhere. Any critical remarks are not
meant to do harm. Posting of images that are un readable is not
preserving the beauty.
Old 22-04-2008, 02:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Agreed.

While I appreciated her effort, the fact that you could not make out any
details, (could not really see what you were looking at), she has a long
way to go. ;-) Her effort will be better spent at least investing in a
better camera.

Mine is a cheapie but seems to work well. The Fuji Finepix 340 was
$200.00 about 3 years or so ago. Should be a LOT less expensive now!
She will take much greater pleasure in her hobby being able to post
legible pics and there are, by now, better cameras at affordable prices.

The critique was meant as instructive/helpful, not mean! I pray she took
it that way.

I got that a lot on alt.binaries.food until I learned to use ambient
lighting and a _tripod_! g Also learned to choose my angles better. I
knew I'd learned a lot when the best photographer on the list told me a
particular pic was worthy of wallpaper. Made me feel really good. :-D

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 22-04-2008, 02:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Good points from both of you. I like constructive criticism on my
photos and web site because there is always room for improvement.

Having been a photographer for many, many years (I have had some of my
work published in national magazines) and a gardner even longer than
that I KNOW what looks good and what doesn't. With today's digital
cameras EVERYONE can take decent pictures. HOWEVER, we don't always see
that in the internet news groups. Quite often, it seems that anything
goes and, quite frankly, I have seen some really poor photos in this and
other groups. As I mentioned before I don't like "fancy" frames or
"photo enhancements", I think that they "take away" from the photo.
However, I think things like contrast correction and cropping are
extremely important. Also, posting a photo of a of a size not too large
or too small is important. I DO wish that some people would take a few
minutes (or hours) to learn how to "edit" their photos before they post
them. It would make the group a little better for everyone.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 22-04-2008, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bill R" wrote after "MES" wrote:
[...]

I mostly agree Bill, my photographer hero is Cartier-Bresson so you know
where I stand.

See.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Cartier-Bresson especially
"Tecnique"
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-04-2008, 11:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"MES" wrote:

Greetings,
I recently started to subscribe to this group.
I enjoy ALL the pictures posted because I do not have the time to spend in
the garden as I used to.
I appreciate the hours of nurturing & committment required to acheive whats
been photographed.
For anyone to tell someone else that what they photographed is not personal
is ridiculous.
Just because someone doesn't have borders, or the correct lighting or the
correct camera is missing the point.
The group is about pictures of what people have in their gardens period.
Just my rant on something that to me is really a NO ISSUE.
Enjoy your day.

I enjoy all the photos, also. But when I see a small, low res
photo and I'm not really sure what I'm seeing, I'm not sure
it's worth the time it takes to post.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone can post any garden-related photo
they want to. It's my problem if I can't figure it out.

I was trying to be helpful, not hurtful, in agreeing with the
person who posted before me.

--
8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~