Old 21-06-2008, 03:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Solstice-Day 3 - 20083919.jpg

Cool Contrasts

This hosta is in its 3rd year from seed, and blooming for the first
time. The yellow foliage behind it is Agastache "Golden Jubilee".

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Solstice-Day 3  - 20083919.jpg-20083919.jpg
Old 21-06-2008, 04:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I have a large patch of these in front of my house - I always wondered what
they were! Mine are twice as big this year, but have not bloomed. Can you
just dig up the roots and spread them out over the fall so they don't get
too crowded?

Old 21-06-2008, 06:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Some Internet advice on Hostas that I found includes;
-------------------------
Transplanting Hostas

....if a hosta is not doing well in one location it sometimes helps to
move it. In any event, hostas are best transplanted in the spring. We
prefer to move them in the "bullet" stage....i.e., when the divisions
are about an inch or two above ground and the leaves are still tightly
wrapped. They should be replanted at the same depth they were growing
in the old location. Obviously, you should try to preserve as much of
the root system as you can. If you don't plan on dividing the clump,
try to keep the root ball intact as you move it.

Shade/Light For Hostas

All hostas grow better with some shade. The ideal shade condition is
high, dappled shade. Conversely, hostas will NOT do well in continuous
dark shade....such as that provided by low growing evergreens. Green
and gold hostas will generally take more sun than blues. The same
hosta will look different when grown in sunny versus shady conditions.
In general, the more sun a plant is exposed to, the lighter the colors
will be.
I have found that my Hosta are quite happy being crowded and that this
also helps suppress other forms of weeds from growing between them
too.

JD