Old 21-06-2008, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Solstice-Day 1 - 20083903.jpg

Regardless of the precise celestial event, which can vary, I have
traditionally celebrated the solstice on the 21st. Here is a Linum
rubrum, scarlet flax. I grew this for the first time last year, but it
is quickly becoming a favorite annual. They are very showy and are
only now beginning to bloom. Last year they lasted well into
September here. You'll probably see more of these guys from me later.

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Solstice-Day 1  - 20083903.jpg-20083903.jpg
Old 21-06-2008, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Really nice photos John. But how does one go about celebrating the
solstice?
It's been so hot down here already that I seem to have forgotten it.
(Except for
the huge influx of tourists).

Old 21-06-2008, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Well, I really only "celebrated" the summer solstice once, years ago
in college. I slathered up with sun screen and went out into an open
field on a cloudless June 21st. I took books and drinks and food and
spent the entire day contemplating the glory of the sun and the
abundance and magnificence of what it makes possible.

As an older and wiser person might have predicted, after about 8-hours
in the strongest sun of the year, and even without actual sunburn, I
got a severe case of heat prostration. As they say, first I was afraid
that I was going to die, and then it got worse and I was afraid that I
wouldn't (though I suppose that I really could have). To this day that
is the sickest I have ever been from any cause, ever. Ah, the follys
of youth.

In my latter years I try to just take the best advantage of the early
mornings and late evenings and morn for the slow inevitable advance of
the long winter night.

JD

Old 21-06-2008, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Really nice photos John. But how does one go about celebrating the
solstice?
It's been so hot down here already that I seem to have forgotten it.
(Except for
the huge influx of tourists).

Here is an image of Druids about to celebrate the autumn solstice on the
nearby hill in Wiltshire, U.K.

someone

Attached Thumbnails
Solstice-Day 1  - 20083903.jpg-druid.jpg
Old 22-06-2008, 08:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Really nice photos John. But how does one go about celebrating the
solstice?
It's been so hot down here already that I seem to have forgotten it.
(Except for
the huge influx of tourists).

It's Spouse's birthday so we always over-indulge in everything ...

Mary

Old 22-06-2008, 08:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Really nice photos John. But how does one go about celebrating the
solstice?

Just remembered that in 2000 we were in Iceland on the summer solstice and
we went whale-spotting. Didn't see any whales but the sunset was
unbelievable. The sun skimmed just below the horizon then skimmed back up.

This year we're going further north than Iceland but it will be six weeks
later. Still, I hope to see some splendid skyscapes.

Mary