Old 28-06-2008, 10:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Default Jun28-A - 20084019.jpg

My one great vice is that I spend WAY too much money on photography
equipment (don't worry, my wife has her indulgences too). I do have
one "cheap" Canon lens however, that is highly regarded and often
well-reviewed. This is the Canon 50mm f1.4 lens, and I decided to
take it out into the garden today and exercise it. These shots were
all when the sun came out again after a short noon-time shower.

Here is a stand of lilies that I have planted under some daylilies.
The hemerocallis shade the base of the lilium, which they like, and
once the lilies are done, the daylilies start up, producing a long
season of something in bloom in this spot. From a distance with the
lilium foliage hidden by the hemerocallis, these can almost look like
pure white daylilies.

This was shot with the 50mm f1.4 stopped down 2-levels to f2.8. This
provides both decent bokeh blur as well as enough DOF to cover most of
the flowers. I suppose that I could have produced the same results
with my 70-200 f2.8L IS or the 300mm f4L IS from further away, but
both of those lenses cost at least 4-times what this 50mm f1.4 did.

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Jun28-A  - 20084019.jpg-20084019.jpg
Old 29-06-2008, 12:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:08:25 -0400, John - Pa. wrote:

[...]

It would look different with the other lenses, especially with the 300mm.
You would zoom in on the background without enlarging the subject.

Of the three posted pictures, I like A and B (about equally). C has too
much open space; I'd probably use a vertical crop (portrait-like) instead.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com