Old 28-06-2008, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Default Jun28-D - 20084054-Edit.jpg

Afternoon Echinacea, second year from seed.

Lest anyone think that I find this 50mm f1.4 "perfect", I do think
that it can exhibit too much chromatic aberration. CA often shows up
as purple (or some other color) fringing along lines of high contrast,
and it is something else that you pay big-bucks to be rid of in
high-end lenses. In this shot there is some ghosting along the top
edge of the flower petals that I find annoying. Although it is not as
colorful and distracting as most CA, I think that this may be another
form of it.
JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Jun28-D  - 20084054-Edit.jpg-20084054-edit.jpg
Old 29-06-2008, 01:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:31:39 -0400, John - Pa. wrote:

Afternoon Echinacea, second year from seed.

Lest anyone think that I find this 50mm f1.4 "perfect", I do think that
it can exhibit too much chromatic aberration. CA often shows up as
purple (or some other color) fringing along lines of high contrast, and
it is something else that you pay big-bucks to be rid of in high-end
lenses. In this shot there is some ghosting along the top edge of the
flower petals that I find annoying. Although it is not as colorful and
distracting as most CA, I think that this may be another form of it.

With the flower leaning back a little, It's more likely that the top edge
is simply out of focus. The top petals are significantly further away
from the lens than the bottom petals or the center of the flower.

And AFAIK, 'ghosting' of bright objects is more related to flaring (light
bouncing/reflecting between glass elements) than to CA (caused by
different refraction-indexes for different wavelengths).

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com