Old 15-09-2008, 06:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default 1946 Adam the Gardener September week 3 page 2 S_edge

Attached Thumbnails
1946 Adam the Gardener September week 3 page 2 S_edge-sept-week-3-page-2.jpg
Old 15-09-2008, 07:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"swordedge" wrote in message

I've cut beetroot leaves off rather than twist them. Yes, the stumps 'bleed'
but it makes no difference to the beet itself.

When I buy (my beetroot is rubbish this year, so far even though a daughter
had an enormous one) beetroot with leaves (I don't buy them unless they have
good leaves on them) I cut the leaves into about 1 cm - 1/2" - lengths, cook
them gently with onion and liquidise them.

SOUP!

Excellent (with seasoning) and crème fraiche, cream, yogurt, whatever.

Mary

Old 16-09-2008, 09:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"swordedge" wrote in message
This twisting off of the leaves is only needed when putting the beetroot
into store, not for preparation for eating.

Hmnm - but the cut - or twisted - ends dry out, I've never known them bleed.

Mary