Old 26-10-2008, 11:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Torch Ginger-7649 (Etlingera elatior)

An ornamental ginger, one of my all time favourites growing in my garden. It
takes very little looking after and the flowers are on very long stems and
last for ages. This one is not yet fully open.

Attached Thumbnails
Torch Ginger-7649 (Etlingera elatior)-b-7649-trchginger-26-10-08-30-100.jpg
Old 26-10-2008, 01:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote:

An ornamental ginger, one of my all time favourites growing in my garden. It
takes very little looking after and the flowers are on very long stems and
last for ages. This one is not yet fully open.

begin 666 b-7649-trchginger-26-10-08-30-100.jpg
[Image]

end

I may have to look in to that. I've only ever attempted to grow
culinary ginger and it only does well with LOTS of water, and only tried
to bloom once. The bloom failed. :-(

I need drought resistant plants. The Lantana is doing rather well and
survived a solid 3 months with no watering. Looked very unhappy, but it
lived. So did the canna and all of my desert herbals. (Mexican Oregano,
Thyme, Rosemary and Sage).
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 27-10-2008, 01:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
I may have to look in to that. I've only ever attempted to grow
culinary ginger and it only does well with LOTS of water, and only
tried to bloom once. The bloom failed. :-(

I need drought resistant plants. The Lantana is doing rather well and
survived a solid 3 months with no watering. Looked very unhappy, but
it lived. So did the canna and all of my desert herbals. (Mexican
Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage).

They do like a little bit of water, not so much of a problem here.

Old 27-10-2008, 04:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Maroochy" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
I may have to look in to that. I've only ever attempted to grow
culinary ginger and it only does well with LOTS of water, and only
tried to bloom once. The bloom failed. :-(

I need drought resistant plants. The Lantana is doing rather well and
survived a solid 3 months with no watering. Looked very unhappy, but
it lived. So did the canna and all of my desert herbals. (Mexican
Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage).

They do like a little bit of water, not so much of a problem here.

It's expensive here. :-(
I've virtually given up on vegetable gardening. It's cheaper to buy them
at the store.