Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default More Longwood-2 - 09A_0009_Camellia.jpg

A Camellia (didn't get the cultivar name). I have seen camellia in
catalogs that claim to be hardy down to our USDA zone-6 and I have
been thinking about trying one. Does anyone have experience with hardy
camellia? We rarely hit the -10 minimum of zone-6, but we often break
0-degrees once or twice a season.

Canon 1DmkIII; EF 50mm f1.4 + 12mm Kenko extension tube; ISO-200; f22;
1/160-sec

Attached Thumbnails
More Longwood-2 - 09A_0009_Camellia.jpg-09a_0009_camellia.jpg
Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote ...
A Camellia (didn't get the cultivar name). I have seen camellia in
catalogs that claim to be hardy down to our USDA zone-6 and I have
been thinking about trying one. Does anyone have experience with hardy
camellia? We rarely hit the -10 minimum of zone-6, but we often break
0-degrees once or twice a season.

We grow a number of Camellias (in the UK) and get frost of 0°C to -3°C every
year, usually only overnight though, it rarely stays all day. The plants
just ignore the cold but you do get a problem if the flower buds open and it
gets frosty and then the sun rises and "burns" the frozen flower (freeze
drying it). It's why we try to grow them where the early morning sun won't
hit them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
John - Pa. wrote ...
A Camellia (didn't get the cultivar name). I have seen camellia in
catalogs that claim to be hardy down to our USDA zone-6 and I have
been thinking about trying one. Does anyone have experience with hardy
camellia? We rarely hit the -10 minimum of zone-6, but we often break
0-degrees once or twice a season.

We grow a number of Camellias (in the UK) and get frost of 0°C to -3°C
every year, usually only overnight though, it rarely stays all day. The
plants just ignore the cold but you do get a problem if the flower buds
open and it gets frosty and then the sun rises and "burns" the frozen
flower (freeze drying it). It's why we try to grow them where the early
morning sun won't hit them.

Just realised you probably meant 0°F which is quite a bit colder,
about -18°C, and there aren't many places in the UK that ever get down to
that.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Yes, thanks. I should have been more explicit. I have a catalog with a
series of Camellia they call "Ice Angels" that they are claiming
survive through -5F or about -20C. I just don't know if that is
realistic or not.

JD

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:48:33 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
John - Pa. wrote ...