Old 04-04-2009, 03:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Pale rose

Attached Thumbnails
Pale rose-pale-rose.jpg
Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Sj" wrote in message

Not sure why you post the same-named photo in different sizes to different
ngs ...

I realize you may not wish to cross-post & I would agree w/ not doing
that, but to save both sizes (205 & 149 KB) means one of the files needs a
name change (or the 2nd one overwrites the 1st one). Since they are your
photos, have a feeling you'd prefer that not being done ...

Actually I have no opinion on it. My personal preference is the larger
sizes but more often than not I "go with the flow" and post smaller ones in
alt.binaries.photos.original.

In this NG I feel no such constraint and usually post my preference. Yes -
the file names usually overlap and there is the danger of overwriting, but I
figure if somebody sees one of my small images in a.b.p.o. and likes it
enough to save it, then that viewer migrates over to a.b.p.g. and sees a
bonus version of it that they're also motivated to save - they probably have
no bias against larger images and may even prefer them and won't mind
overwriting the smaller version(s) they recorded earlier.

Of course if it happens the other way around they may be disappointed to
discover later the only one they've retained is the small one.

Ehhh. What am I gonna do? Post everything the same size?

Frankly when I'm done posting and there's an image I care about enough to
save I'll save the large version and discard the smaller one. No point
cluttering up my hard drive with large and small versions of the same thing.
--
Pat

Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I often save two sizes for different places as well, when I do I put an S on
the end of the name of the first one. I.E., catsonarug.jpg and
catsonarugS.jpg. Helps me find the right one when I go back later.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Paddy's Pig wrote:

| Actually I have no opinion on it. My personal preference is the
| larger sizes but more often than not I "go with the flow" and post
| smaller ones in alt.binaries.photos.original.
|
| In this NG I feel no such constraint and usually post my preference.
| Yes - the file names usually overlap and there is the danger of
| overwriting, but I figure if somebody sees one of my small images in
| a.b.p.o. and likes it enough to save it, then that viewer migrates
| over to a.b.p.g. and sees a bonus version of it that they're also
| motivated to save - they probably have no bias against larger images
| and may even prefer them and won't mind overwriting the smaller
| version(s) they recorded earlier.
|
| Of course if it happens the other way around they may be disappointed
| to discover later the only one they've retained is the small one.
|
| Ehhh. What am I gonna do? Post everything the same size?
|
| Frankly when I'm done posting and there's an image I care about
| enough to save I'll save the large version and discard the smaller
| one. No point cluttering up my hard drive with large and small
| versions of the same thing.

I have to save my clients pictures and they are often large, too large
for email or posting, so I save the picture as for eg, 2345 to 2345b.
Saves a lot of time and works good. Then I sent the b item which is
email size.