Old 05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered User

Default What is this please unusual plant!

My Grandad found this in his garden not so long ago. It appeared from no where and we have no idea what it is. Can anyone shed any light on it. Its about three feet tall and the stem is around two inches. It flowers with white flowers which fall off and these spikey buds appear. They are soft to touch whilst small and then very spikey after they have grown.

Hopefully someone can tell us what to do with it
Attached Thumbnails
What is this please unusual plant!-img00020-20100804-1822.jpg   What is this please unusual plant!-img00021-20100804-1822.jpg   What is this please unusual plant!-img00022-20100804-1822.jpg   What is this please unusual plant!-img00023-20100804-1822.jpg   What is this please unusual plant!-img00024-20100804-1822.jpg

Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardy View Post
My Grandad found this in his garden not so long ago. It appeared from no where and we have no idea what it is. Can anyone shed any light on it. Its about three feet tall and the stem is around two inches. It flowers with white flowers which fall off and these spikey buds appear. They are soft to touch whilst small and then very spikey after they have grown.

Hopefully someone can tell us what to do with it
I think that that is a Datura flower and fruit.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
I think that that is a Datura flower and fruit.
Should add that it is an annual and very poisonous.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 05/08/2010 16:06, Owdboggy wrote:
Yardy;896559 Wrote:
My Grandad found this in his garden not so long ago. It appeared from no
where and we have no idea what it is. Can anyone shed any light on it.
Its about three feet tall and the stem is around two inches. It flowers
with white flowers which fall off and these spikey buds appear. They are
soft to touch whilst small and then very spikey after they have grown.

Hopefully someone can tell us what to do with it

I think that that is a Datura flower and fruit.

Hallucinogenic and poisonous.

wolf k.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Yardy" wrote

My Grandad found this in his garden not so long ago. It appeared from no
where and we have no idea what it is. Can anyone shed any light on it.
Its about three feet tall and the stem is around two inches. It flowers
with white flowers which fall off and these spikey buds appear. They are
soft to touch whilst small and then very spikey after they have grown.

Hopefully someone can tell us what to do with it

I think it's Datura stramonium, (Thorn Apple) one of the more rare and
beautiful UK weeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

It is toxic, like a lot of plants but not as bad as some, but then you
didn't intend on eating it anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden