Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered User

Default Pond Pump Run Dry Protection Switch?

I have a two Baldor Sequence multi-duty 240v 1/4hp pond pumps (around 12 years old). I currently just operate one for economy.

It runs dry when the plastic pot filter gets blocked with pond debris (plant and algae slime). Frequent cleaning of the filter mostly avoids the problem but not always. The pump can run dry for many hours (such as over night or even longer if I'm away) and obviously the pump gets extremely hot and bothered (as do I!).

I understand that most modern pumps are fitted with protect to avoid them running dry but I have been looking in vain for a device that I can retro fit that can detect when the pump has run dry (or hopefully before) and could kill the mains supply. The pump is housed in a weatherproof structure with mains connection and isolating switch.

Please, does anyone know of such a device or how this could be achieved economically, (without buying a new pump)?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Malcolm Davis" wrote

[...]

Wrong Ng really but anyhow, I can't find a separate "Float Switch" available
so the only way to do it would be to build your own. You could simply use a
ballcock float and an electrical push switch so if the water level falls the
pressure comes off the switch and the power is cut.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:55:10 +0000, Malcolm Davis
wrote:

[...]

A flow switch in the output line.

Samples:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/flo...ecatalog/N-cca

You would need a momentary bypass on the switch to start the pump when
it wasn't running.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Malcolm Davis wrote:
[...]

You could attach a Thermal Switch to the pump to cut out when the pump
gets to an objectionable temperature.
See for instance http://www.thermodisc.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=2
Bob Williams

[IMG] code is On

Run, Rabbit, Run Way Back Jack[_7_] Gardening 23 09-02-2011 04:05 PM
Run, Rabbit, Run Way Back Jack[_7_] Edible Gardening 33 11-06-2009 03:51 PM
Electric fuel pump turn off switch [email protected] Gardening 3 27-05-2007 07:07 AM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Did someone pull a pump switch? pixi Ponds 2 07-09-2003 12:08 AM