Old 25-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Stubby

Default Lightning debarked my tree

Peabody wrote:

Last night my river birch was hit by lightning. I guess that
explains why you shouldn't stand under a tree during a storm.

Anyway, the tree is still standing, but it lost a significant
portion of its bark on about the bottom 20 ft. of the trunk. There
are no scorch marks, so I guess the bark was just popped off when
the moisture underneath turned to steam instantaneously. I
collected a garbage can full of bark chunks.

Do I need to do anything to the denuded areas, or just leave it
alone?

Is there a chance the tree will actually survive long term. I
assume its innards got quite a jolt, but don't know what that means
to a tree.

A tree guy told me that most trees die as a result of lightning strikes.
The damage doesn't look bad, a crack down the side and some missing
bark. But, insects get in and over a period of years, kill the tree.

Old 25-07-2005, 03:47 PM
William Wagner

In article 6k5Fe.82193$Fv.69335@lakeread01,
Peabody wrote:

Last night my river birch was hit by lightning. I guess that
explains why you shouldn't stand under a tree during a storm.

Anyway, the tree is still standing, but it lost a significant
portion of its bark on about the bottom 20 ft. of the trunk. There
are no scorch marks, so I guess the bark was just popped off when
the moisture underneath turned to steam instantaneously. I
collected a garbage can full of bark chunks.

Do I need to do anything to the denuded areas, or just leave it
alone?

Is there a chance the tree will actually survive long term. I
assume its innards got quite a jolt, but don't know what that means
to a tree.

A black oak was hit a few years ago. About one third of the
circumference was blown off. Tree is repairing itself slowly. I
assume a total girdle spells death but even then damage may come back.
I'd look at the size and scale of the damage and go slow. If it is a
potential danger it may have to come down. Better safer than sorry .

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted ((C) ) material the use of
Old 26-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Trim any ragged edges smooth with a sharp knife or chisel, consider
starting it's replacement nearby, lightning struck trees decline and
you can get a head start on the replacement.