Old 28-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Lawn Tractor Solar Charger

I have a John Deere Lawn tractor and I want to connect a solar battery
charger to the battery becuase recently I've been having to jumpstart
it after sitting up for a long period of time. Has anyone done this?
Is there a down side to attaching a solar batter charger? The tractor
sit for 2 to 3 weeks between uses. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
dps

You can use a solar cell to recharge the battery as long as the cell
puts out a voltage higher than the battery. However, if the battery
loses charge over a couple of weeks, it's probably got a low-grade
internal short (leakage) that drains the charge. This is normal as lead
acid batteries age. Eventually, the leakage will take up all the current
that the solar cell puts out and the battery will not charge.

At $39 for a solar cell, you're probably better off buying a new battery.

G Henslee wrote:
wrote:

I have a John Deere Lawn tractor and I want to connect a solar battery
charger to the battery becuase recently I've been having to jumpstart
it after sitting up for a long period of time. Has anyone done this?
Is there a down side to attaching a solar batter charger? The tractor
sit for 2 to 3 weeks between uses. Thanks in advance for your advice.

May need a deep cell battery. Harbor Freight has 5 watt solar panels
for $39.

[IMG] code is On

Question on Ryobi batteries/charger. willshak Lawns 1 22-05-2009 03:07 AM
Float charger Herb and Eneva Lawns 4 16-02-2008 01:39 PM
Battery Charger Question - need part A-0705L - where can I find it ? Bosco Lawns 3 21-11-2007 08:26 PM
Battery Charger Part --- A-0705L --- Circuit Breaker --- besides the company Who can it be order from ?? BoNanner Lawns 3 07-01-2006 05:24 PM
Battery Charger question Sniffer Lawns 13 28-08-2005 06:19 PM