Old 21-05-2009, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Question on Ryobi batteries/charger.

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless
chain saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow
saw, but it is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby
branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have
a Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 22-05-2009, 03:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"willshak" wrote in message
I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless chain
saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow saw, but it
is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have a
Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I've got the Ryobi - don't like it -- very weak with short battery life.
It's slow, ineffective and quickly starts to hang up and stall rather than
cut. It's not really a chain saw, more of a pruning saw, and the chain also
does a lot of collateral damage at the side of the cut. This is not a good
tool.

Bow saws have problems for your application because other branches get in
the way. I highly recommend a folding pruning saw made by Corona, which
cuts on the pull stroke. Easy to use, fast and can fit in almost
anywhere -- inexpensive and widely used by arborists. There is a similar,
slightly larger pruning saw made by Fiskars that is just as good but doesn't
fold. Either one will do everything the Ryobi will, faster with a neater
cut, and with less damage to the trees and bushes you're working on.