Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 PM
mmarteen

Default planting a ficus in an oversized urn

I have a lovely ficus and I would like to plant it in one of those giant
chinese urns, about 3 feet high, with maybe some trailing low light plant
around the base.

I've read that rather than filling the urn wth soil, all the way to the top
you can put something else in until about half way up and then fill the rest
with dirt, to save money and weight from so much soil. I first thought of
those cornstarch peanuts but then don't those disintegrate over time? I
don't want the plant to collapse in a hole!

Has anyone done this or seen it done?

mm