Old 14-10-2012, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Oversized red beets

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are
about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my good-hearted
brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?
Old 14-10-2012, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:57:08 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are
about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my good-hearted
brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

Julienne them, and proceed as usual.

Old 14-10-2012, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are

about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my good-hearted

brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

Julienne them, and proceed as usual.

I just wondered if they would be tough. Anyway, will try to Julienne them
and see how that works.

Thanks...
Old 15-10-2012, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Roy wrote:

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are
about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my good-hearted
brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

very hard to know if they are any good or
not until you do some chopping and cooking.

if they are woody you'll know fairly
quickly.

if you can slice and dice them easily
enough then they are probably ok.

i pickle beets of all sizes. i cut
them into 1/2-1/3 inch cubes, then steam
them until done before adding brine. most
times i cut up onions and put those on top
when steaming.

songbird
Old 15-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Beets can be sliced thinly or shredded on a grater and eaten raw in salads. I am a salad person so that is one of my favorite way to eat beets. If you are not a salad person then I can give you some recipe. Cut beets into very small cubes and onions too. In a pan add oil and few mustard seeds, once the seeds start cracking add the onions and beets fry them for 10 mins add salt for taste. Taste would be delicious once you fry them in oil. Another method is shred beets on a grater. Slit few green chillies, cut onions and few grated coconut. Fry onions and chilies in oil once the onion are brown add the shredded beets and a pinch of salt for taste. Close the lid of the pan in a very slow flame. Check every few mins and when you feel it is cooked well add the coconut on it. Try these two recipes for beets, I bet you will love it.
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 15-10-2012, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , says...

I just wondered if they would be tough. Anyway, will try to Julienne them
and see how that works.

Juice?
Old 15-10-2012, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, October 15, 2012 12:36:07 AM UTC-6, allen73 wrote:
Beets can be sliced thinly or shredded on a grater and eaten raw in

salads. I am a salad person so that is one of my favorite way to eat

beets. If you are not a salad person then I can give you some recipe.

Cut beets into very small cubes and onions too. In a pan add oil and few

mustard seeds, once the seeds start cracking add the onions and beets

fry them for 10 mins add salt for taste. Taste would be delicious once

you fry them in oil. Another method is shred beets on a grater. Slit few

green chillies, cut onions and few grated coconut. Fry onions and

chilies in oil once the onion are brown add the shredded beets and a

pinch of salt for taste. Close the lid of the pan in a very slow flame.

Check every few mins and when you feel it is cooked well add the coconut

on it. Try these two recipes for beets, I bet you will love it.

allen73

Lots of good ideas...Thanks all.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Roy wrote:
Cora Fuchs wrote:

Julienne them, and proceed as usual.

I just wondered if they would be tough. Anyway, will try to Julienne them
and see how that works.

If "proceed as usual" includes light pickling it would help soften them.
I have in mind an hour soak in a vinegar solution not a cooked pickling
process. Veggie ceviche!
Old 17-10-2012, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Roy wrote:

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are
about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my
good-hearted
brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

very hard to know if they are any good or
not until you do some chopping and cooking.

if they are woody you'll know fairly
quickly.

if you can slice and dice them easily
enough then they are probably ok.

i pickle beets of all sizes. i cut
them into 1/2-1/3 inch cubes, then steam
them until done before adding brine. most
times i cut up onions and put those on top
when steaming.

songbird

I had one the size of a softball. There wasn't anything woody about it.
I was dubious though.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 17-10-2012, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
I had one the size of a softball. There wasn't anything woody about it.
I was dubious though.

i had a few this year that hit that size or
larger and were also fine. not the best tasting
but they were acceptable for pickling.

songbird

Old 17-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy[_4_] View Post
I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are
about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my good-hearted
brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?
Hi Roy, hope I'm not too late and that youve not eaten them but Ive only just seen your post !! Here's an interesting idea. Cut them in half, hollow them out a bit and put a daffodil bulb inside and then plant them !!! In the spring, you'll have a lovely and very unusual display of red daffs that will amaze your friends ane neighbours Haaaaaaa!
regards, Lannerman.

How big can Red Beets get? [email protected] Edible Gardening 4 26-04-2006 01:46 AM
Beets... SJB North Carolina 0 28-06-2003 05:45 AM
Swiss Chard & Beets turning brown Gary Gardening 4 21-05-2003 04:56 AM
Oversized house plants, why?? Graslokar Gardening 6 30-03-2003 05:20 PM
planting a ficus in an oversized urn mmarteen Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:20 PM