Old 09-08-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Identify Plant

Hi - I have a patch of this unidentified plant (image link below)
growing in a flower bed - we bougth the home so I don't know if it was
planted there or not. Can someone help with an ID?
thanks
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/4...geplant9lm.jpg

Old 09-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Its a nasty invasive weed masquerading as an aromatic ornamental herb,
Artemisia vulgaris, a.k.a. "mugwort" or "wormwood".

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ar...earch+Imag es

It spreads rapidly from underground stolons. Dig it out and keep an eye open
for it sprouting from the ground.

oups.com...

Old 10-08-2005, 12:49 AM

The leaves look quite similair, but I can't find a picture of Artemisia
vulgaris with the small starts along the main branch like this has; If
someone else wouldn't mind weighing in before I pull them all up I'd
appreciate it!

Old 10-08-2005, 04:34 AM

nope, no flowers or buds...

Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

Hi - I have a patch of this unidentified plant (image link below)
growing in a flower bed - we bougth the home so I don't know if it was
planted there or not. Can someone help with an ID?
thanks
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/4...geplant9lm.jpg

It reminds me of a mum I bought this spring. The leaves are different
from typical mums (paler and more incised). Taller and a bit ganglier.
(The tag should be out in the garage, but the garage was 'cleaned'
since and I'm not sure I could find it.

Is the foliage scented?

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Cereus-validus.......

What an unappreciative jerk. Who are you to question?

The link I gave you had hundreds of pix. Look again, dummy.

oups.com...

Old 10-08-2005, 01:36 PM

Whoa - calm down buddy. I appreciate you posting, but I loked through
maybe 200 pictures from the link yousent, and as I posted, I couldn't
find any pictures that displayed the stuble along the branch as I have
on my plant. I don't think it's crazy to ask for a second opinion
before I pull up a full bed of something which may end up being an
attractive flower.

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
What an unappreciative jerk. Who are you to question?

The link I gave you had hundreds of pix. Look again, dummy.

oups.com...

Old 10-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Cereus-validus.......

The "little stubble" really isn't significant for identification.

You didn't look very hard. Here's a close-up of a leafy stem showing the
axillary leaflets. Happy now? As the plant matures they elongate into
branches.

http://www.aphotoflora.com/Artemisia...f-29-06-04.jpg

I have the weed growing in my yard and have first hand knowledge of what it
looks like. If you actually looked at the pix in the links, you would have
seen it does not have attractive flowers. Its not a Chrysanthemum, babe. The
superficial resemblance of the foliage is how the weed gets a foothold into
most gardens.

For ideal identification, the plant should be in bloom and that would remove
any doubt.

Several people have asked you if the plant is aromatic and you still have
not answered.

oups.com...

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
What an unappreciative jerk. Who are you to question?

The link I gave you had hundreds of pix. Look again, dummy.

oups.com...

Old 10-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Lady Blacksword

Don't mind Cereus. He thinks he's the Goddesses Gift to plat identification.
Just remember the "Cereus validus" is a cactus, so he tends to be a bit
thorny.
Always Question.
Murri
oups.com...

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
What an unappreciative jerk. Who are you to question?

The link I gave you had hundreds of pix. Look again, dummy.

oups.com...

Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Oh yeah? Sit on it, Potsy!!!

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
news:1123700121.06bdb700fa548bd46ab1f76a536cdd52@t eranews...
Don't mind Cereus. He thinks he's the Goddesses Gift to plat
identification.
Just remember the "Cereus validus" is a cactus, so he tends to be a bit
thorny.
Always Question.
Murri
oups.com...

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
What an unappreciative jerk. Who are you to question?

The link I gave you had hundreds of pix. Look again, dummy.

oups.com...