Old 18-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Dave Smith

Default herb garden kit

I'm thinking of buying a herb garden kit next year (still time this
year?). I'm a novice and would like some advice from the group as to
what I should get. I live on the east side of washington state so I have
blistering summers, no rain, and cold winters.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 19-08-2005, 01:10 AM
simy1

for that kind of climate, buy mint to be placed in shade, thyme of
various stripes, oregano, sage (only hardy varieties). That is the
basic perennial herbs that will find their way in your cooking often,
and are hardy . Now if you want non perennials, or herbs that will not
be used in cooking, there is lots to choose from. Lavender and basil
(annuals with possibility of reseeding), rosemary (to be brought in
during winter), dill and parsley (also a possibility of reseeding),
lemon balm (certain to reseed, good for tea). All herbs except mint in
full sun, though lemon balm will tolerate shade. Group them according
to watering needs (sage and lavender together for example), and they
need little to no fertilizer. Once you have things growing, go ahead
and plant more. You will be shocked how much herbs you are going to use
if you have them handy.