Old 22-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Angela Marsh

Default Russian Sage - yellowing leaves???

I live in the Denver area and just planted a Russian Sage that's
about 18" tall, bought from Home Depot.

I planted it in full sun ( about 5 hours a day of it? ) on a slope
with good drainage and just checked the soil with a water meter and
it's moist but not too wet.

The problem is, in the 5 days since planting, the leaves are
starting to yellow from the base upwards. What did I do wrong, or
what do I need to do to help this plant make it?

Old 23-08-2005, 02:08 PM
pam

Generally, yellowing foliage on Perovskia indicates TOO much water. This is
a very droughty plant and requires little if any irrigation after
establishment. I am surprised that planting on a slope is creating this
effect - typically sloped plantings have very good drainage. Are you
watering it often? If so, I'd cut back a bit and let things dry out.

pam - gardengal

Old 23-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Angela Marsh

"pam" wrote :

Generally, yellowing foliage on Perovskia indicates TOO much
water. This is a very droughty plant and requires little if
any irrigation after establishment. I am surprised that
planting on a slope is creating this effect - typically sloped
plantings have very good drainage. Are you watering it often?
If so, I'd cut back a bit and let things dry out.

Not that much but there's a water ditch behind in so it is moist. I
guess as it establishes rooting, it might get better.

I thought it might need iron because of the clay soil but they grow
all over town just fine.

Old 25-08-2005, 01:50 AM

There is not really any relation between clay soil and Iron deficiency,
as this is only affected by pH. I agree with pam, it sounds like too
much water.

Toad

[IMG] code is On

how to winter my 'Russian Sage' FireBrick Lawns 2 10-11-2007 12:58 PM
Need to move Russian sage TODAY spampot Gardening 2 18-06-2007 02:04 PM
Kill Russian Sage William Lawns 1 24-05-2006 10:42 PM
Wintering a Russian Sage in a container Audrey Gardening 4 30-12-2005 12:25 AM
Russian sage question. Bob S. Gardening 15 27-07-2004 08:02 PM