Old 19-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Bob S.

Default Russian sage question.

I planted Russian sage as an ornamental last fall. It wintered over
just fine and began new growth in the spring. When it got to about
12-14" tall, the tips curl and die. The bottom portion of the plants
remain green, but the plants haven't grown a bit since. They are
planted in full sun and get "adequate" water. The other plants in the
bed are growing ok. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob S.
Old 20-06-2004, 03:02 PM
madgardener

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...
I planted Russian sage as an ornamental last fall. It wintered over
just fine and began new growth in the spring. When it got to about
12-14" tall, the tips curl and die. The bottom portion of the plants
remain green, but the plants haven't grown a bit since. They are
planted in full sun and get "adequate" water. The other plants in the
bed are growing ok. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob S.

Russian sage likes it hot, and dry. In poor soil. Did you loosen the
rootball before you planted it? And what is growing near it? In fact, most
perennials like it in poor soil. The most beautiful and healthy and upright
flowers are found along side the highway in the gravel and scree........
madgardener

Old 20-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Vox Humana

"madgardener" wrote in message

Russian sage likes it hot, and dry. In poor soil. Did you loosen the
rootball before you planted it? And what is growing near it? In fact, most
perennials like it in poor soil. The most beautiful and healthy and

upright
flowers are found along side the highway in the gravel and scree........
madgardener

Why do you suppose that nearly every bit of information I see about
perennials has the following advise:
"Plant in rich, well drained soil. Amend soil with plenty of compost."

Old 20-06-2004, 11:04 PM
madgardener

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"madgardener" wrote in message

Russian sage likes it hot, and dry. In poor soil. Did you loosen the
rootball before you planted it? And what is growing near it? In fact,

most
perennials like it in poor soil. The most beautiful and healthy and

upright
flowers are found along side the highway in the gravel and scree........
madgardener

Why do you suppose that nearly every bit of information I see about
perennials has the following advise:
"Plant in rich, well drained soil. Amend soil with plenty of compost."

well, compost probably yes, topdressing. But every perennial I have planted
into new beds with rich, well drained soil laid down first and then
struggled to become more upright. Once the soil leeched thru rains and
snows, the perennials that were upright actually stood up. I have seen
awesome gardens with beautiful flowers in some of the worst conditions.

This house where I live had feverfew, blue Myst or blue Eupatoria flowers,
sedums (old fashioned green ones) and an unusual yellow colored one and
asters growing along the sidewalk and Joyce had had cancer and was dying of
it for well over two years so her flowers were neglected.

As soon as I moved into the house and lifted the plants and dug the soil
with my tiller and added worm compost, replanted the perennials I discovered
there, the blue Eupatoria or perennial ageratum all but vanished. I think it
finally has gone from the beds. The sedums went nuts and grow every year
since then (that was 9 years ago) at least 5 foot tall when before they were
only two or three foot tall. The asters dissolved. And the feverfew flew
the coop.

All I know is, the flowers I see along the roadsides are upright, healthy,
full of flowers and growing in gravelly, poor soil. Even the chicory is
lush and covered with flowers. And now the black-eyed Susans are popping up
everywhere and they're awesome............so go figure.

There are SOME perennials that like it rich. Sedums(some), blooming bushes,
hosta's, bulbs, daylilies,apparently Soladago does, and so does purple
Loosestrife and Gooseneck loosestrife, and ground covers.......but the rest
of them, the composites and sages and bee balm and such grow prone in rich
soil. I can't tell you the plants I've lost due to rich soils.........but
then, it could just be ME.............
madgardener

Old 21-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Ann

"madgardener" expounded:

There are SOME perennials that like it rich. Sedums(some), blooming bushes,
hosta's, bulbs, daylilies,apparently Soladago does, and so does purple
Loosestrife and Gooseneck loosestrife, and ground covers.......but the rest
of them, the composites and sages and bee balm and such grow prone in rich
soil. I can't tell you the plants I've lost due to rich soils.........but
then, it could just be ME.............

Nah, it isn't just you, Mad, I've got the same problem. My verbascums
re laying right now all over the grass, the stems are too floppy (and
tall) to stand upright. I've got to remember, compost only, no
fertilizer!!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 21-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
"madgardener" expounded:

There are SOME perennials that like it rich. Sedums(some), blooming

bushes,
hosta's, bulbs, daylilies,apparently Soladago does, and so does purple
Loosestrife and Gooseneck loosestrife, and ground covers.......but the

rest
of them, the composites and sages and bee balm and such grow prone in

rich
soil. I can't tell you the plants I've lost due to rich soils.........but
then, it could just be ME.............

Nah, it isn't just you, Mad, I've got the same problem. My verbascums
re laying right now all over the grass, the stems are too floppy (and
tall) to stand upright. I've got to remember, compost only, no
fertilizer!!

Do you suppose that is the problem with my alchemilla? It always flops when
it flowers, but that's how I have seen it in display gardens also. I would
gladly not fertilize it if it would help keep it upright.

Old 21-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Ann

"Vox Humana" expounded:

Do you suppose that is the problem with my alchemilla? It always flops when
it flowers, but that's how I have seen it in display gardens also. I would
gladly not fertilize it if it would help keep it upright.

Most likely. I broadcast a general purpose bulb type organic
fertilizer in the spring for all the bulbs, iris and peonies I've got
everywhere, and even though it's not high in nitrogen, it just might
be too much for some of the other perennials. I've got lovely iris,
peonies and daffs (among others), though!!! G

This year I spread compost over everything (I had an old compost pile
that I sifted and used). I've got lambs quarters all over the place,
but things seem better, except those damned verbascums!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 22-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Karen

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message e.rogers.com...
i have a similar problem. No growth, no blooms. What gives?

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...
I planted Russian sage as an ornamental last fall. It wintered over
just fine and began new growth in the spring. When it got to about
12-14" tall, the tips curl and die. The bottom portion of the plants
remain green, but the plants haven't grown a bit since. They are
planted in full sun and get "adequate" water. The other plants in the
bed are growing ok. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob S.

I have to agree with the other poster. If the other plants are fine in
the same flower bed, then it's too rich soil and too much water for
Russian sage.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Jutta Haas

i have a similar problem. No growth, no blooms. What gives?

"Bob S." wrote in message
om...
I planted Russian sage as an ornamental last fall. It wintered over
just fine and began new growth in the spring. When it got to about
12-14" tall, the tips curl and die. The bottom portion of the plants
remain green, but the plants haven't grown a bit since. They are
planted in full sun and get "adequate" water. The other plants in the
bed are growing ok. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob S.

[IMG] code is On

how to winter my 'Russian Sage' FireBrick Lawns 2 10-11-2007 12:58 PM
Need to move Russian sage TODAY spampot Gardening 2 18-06-2007 02:04 PM
Kill Russian Sage William Lawns 1 24-05-2006 10:42 PM
Wintering a Russian Sage in a container Audrey Gardening 4 30-12-2005 12:25 AM
Russian Sage - yellowing leaves??? Angela Marsh Gardening 5 25-08-2005 01:50 AM