Old 26-08-2005, 08:49 PM
t kinsman

Default What plnat is this on grand Manan Island Canada???

This past July I was hiking along a huge cliff near Hole In The Wall on
Grand Manan Island of the coast of New Brunswick - this was the only
plant growing on - out of - the rock, I was amaized by its ability to
grow under such adverse conditions, but I can not find out what it is -

Any help identifying this plant would be welcome.

See:

http://sciencephotography.com/what/Whatplant1.jpg

Thank you.

Ted
Old 27-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Lynn

Maybe check out to see what type of grasses they plant at the beaches to
combat erosion.

--
Lynn
OF+HOF

Old 29-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Sterling

Did you see any blooms? I have a plant similar to this. It is a kind of
'torch lily' but not the big red-hot pokers. These are much smaller and
the buds start out like your picture and then shoot up on a slender stem
to open into a small clump of yellow flowers. I know I have the label
around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. My plant has gotten
huge, with quite a numbers of small plants hanging out of the pot.
Epiphytic roots everywhere...

Do you have any other pictures of it?

Old 29-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Sterling

Well, I found my plant label - it says "Torch Lily - Bulbine fruiticosa
'Hallmark'" but I found almost nothing doing a search. But I did find
"Bulbine Frutescens" and this looks like my plant and I think like your
plant...

try
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/6771/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/453/index.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...rutescens.html
http://images.google.com/images?q=Bu...&s a=N&tab=wi

Your area may be too cold for this plant though. It says it goes to 20
degrees but I find I have to grow it in pots and keep it in the garage
in winter. Atlanta gets some pretty cold weather for the 'South', 15-20
degrees is becoming more normal here. I bought two plants and put one in
the ground and the other in a pot. The potted one (wintered in the
garage) is now huge and the one in the ground died.

Still - it may be some variety of this plant.

Be happy to send you some if you want.

Sterling